Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting out in a volitile world  (Read 384 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Starting out in a volitile world
« on: May 30, 2008, 05:20:00 pm »

Thinking about the repercussions of the current arc, I came up with a few ideas.

First off, we have the potential to start in a world where there are no Dwarven civilizations anymore. They've all been subjugated or wiped out by others. What now?

Well, I think when starting off you have three options (other then scrapping the world and restarting the world gen).

1) Start an outpost of dwarves from a controlling civilization. You'd then get human representatives or goblin or whatnot. Changes the dynamics a little, but doable.

2) Rebellion - 7 dwarves break off from their oppressed civilization and form a new dwarven civilization. You have the disadvantage of being immediately at war with your home civilization, but probably neutral/friendly with the other civilizations nearby.

3) Dwarven settlers - If no dwarves are left at all, you could have a small dwarven group show up from overseas, or across the scorching lands of the equator. You start of neutral with everyone, I'd imagine. Although, until world diplomacy is put into place in Fortress mode, you'd probably have to have at least one of them decide they hate you, to keep the game interesting.

Side effects of this? Well, in the second two cases, you don't have a parent civilization to deal with. Which begs the question of what happens with nobles? Maybe have the original 7 be counted as nobles, with one eventually becoming King, others elevated to Baron, Tax collector, etc.

In the third scenario, you also don't get migrants from home. Perhaps both of the second two scenarios could get refugees instead of migrants, which would make for some interesting multi-cultural fortresses. The second option, of course, could allow for just Dwarven refugees joining you in your rebellion.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting out in a volitile world
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 07:32:00 pm »

Variant on 3):
You begin with 14 dwarves.  After the 1st winter ends, you pick 7 to send BACK home to report on your fortress (this could be replicated with 7 and 3 instead of 14 and 7), and you get your first wave of immigrants in year 3, along with your home caravan.

I'm thinking severely limited immigration, as opposed to no immigration at all.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 10:03:00 pm »

I like the suggestions, very interesting.  Is there anyway to know how Toady will handle a no dwarf civ left world as it stands now?

[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: Gorjo MacGrymm of Clan MacGrymm ]

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 07:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrax:
<STRONG>Variant on 3):
You begin with 14 dwarves.  After the 1st winter ends, you pick 7 to send BACK home to report on your fortress (this could be replicated with 7 and 3 instead of 14 and 7), and you get your first wave of immigrants in year 3, along with your home caravan.

I'm thinking severely limited immigration, as opposed to no immigration at all.</STRONG>

I like it. The wave of immigrants should be very big though, like 40 at once. People love to travel to undiscovered lands.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.