Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plant Q and A  (Read 1906 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Plant Q and A
« on: June 07, 2010, 06:23:38 am »

Is it possible to make plants give off more seeds in one go. If so this would be great at making the farming better. Imagine having a field grow for an entire year and then recieve about 10x the harvest.-No need! the farmers will grow them more somehow!

Is it possible for trees to give of seeds?

Can you make plants that will spawn monsters aka like the mushroom plant making mush-men?

Would you be able to make plants that grow in lava/water?

would it be possible to make plants that grow under ground like truffles and can be dug up?

Would it be possible to grow a regular plant that can only be chopped down?

Would it be possible to make a creature that dose not give birth but rather plants its seeds?

Any other questions?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:48:10 am by antymattar »

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
Re: Plants having the abbility to give multiple seeds at a time.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:20:27 pm »

Not really, however you can give a reaction in a custom building to make them do so...

For example... You could make wheat grow a -> Bundle of wheat <-  Take that to a customized -> Threshing Pit <- Have that spit out a stack of 40 -> Raw Wheat <- in a bag, (And a wheat seed, forgot about that) then have that processed at a quern or a grinding stone for 40 -> Wheat flour <-

Problems will arise though when you get better farmers...  Because they will start making 2-11 bundles of wheat, and you will be getting stacks of up to 440 flour.  Dont think there is a way of making the plants ignore what the farmers skill is and only produce one.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:common green]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 01:31:44 pm »

More seeds?

I usually drown in seeds as the farmers get more experienced. An experienced farmer can grow a bigger stack of plants, netting you an exponential amount of seeds from a single seed.

E.g. a dabbling grower might grow [1] plump helmet, which gives you [2] plump helmet spawn when brewed or eaten.  A high master might grow [5] plump helmets from a single seed, which nets you 10 plump helmet spawn.

All you really need is better farmers, not more.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 04:54:02 pm »

Not to get off track but, one plump helmet will make one seed, not two.

Anyway, the problem is moot unless your cooking the food (Which last time I checked destroyed seeds might have changed since 40d, but I still don't cook stuff (Barring meat) ) since skilled farmers usually overflow stockpiles, and usually quicker then they can eat, and get you all the seeds you'd need.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 01:24:46 am »

So the seeds do replicate so that you end up with lots and lots of food which gives you lots and lots of seeds etc! So case solved. I think I will chainge this topic because I still have some questions about plants!

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plant Q and A
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 02:48:54 am »

I am resurrecting this place!!!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 04:29:49 am »

Add a seed material to a tree, use a reaction to turn the wood into seeds, have probably unplantable seeds... Guess that doesnt work.

For truffels you can add an edible gem. You will need a reaction to turn it into a food item though.

The rest: im afraid not.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 04:30:15 am »

I think with the right biomes you can. I mean - there's vegetation growing in the underworld's caverns.
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 04:40:11 am »

Add a seed material to a tree, use a reaction to turn the wood into seeds, have probably unplantable seeds... Guess that doesnt work.

you sure it wouldn't work? All trees are just "plants" now. If you created their seeds, could they not perhaps be made to be plantable?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 04:41:45 am »

I think with the right biomes you can. I mean - there's vegetation growing in the underworld's caverns.

I'm not sure about the biome issue, but I know for sure that plants won't grow when submurged.
Also known as Zuhayr.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 06:04:10 am »

Thats funny cause I found a shrub submerged in water. and a tree too. Its just that they were not under water before that. I flooded the place but they kept on growing

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 06:07:58 am »

I'm not sure about the biome issue, but I know for sure that plants won't grow when submurged.
From my experience they spawn in the water if their biome supports that, but they won't grow more. It was pre-40d though so some tests are needed to reveal is it a myth now or not.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 06:48:13 am »

From my experience they spawn in the water if their biome supports that, but they won't grow more. It was pre-40d though so some tests are needed to reveal is it a myth now or not.

I found a whole forest underwater in a cavern (In .03). I've could get access to them only after draining the place.
I don't see why plants wouldn't grow in magma. Give it the right biome and I'll bet we'll see some spawned in lava lakes.
Just remember to make it magmaproof so it doesn't turn to ash instantly.
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 03:37:23 am »

So basically you just need to give it a biome. So what biome would be the correct one?

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 10:20:03 pm »

They still need to grow in an area with mud or soil. Any magma biome does not have mud or soil. So, regardless of any other issues, you couldn't have a plant that grows in magma seas / pipes.
Otherwise, you might be able to create a plant that grows even when the player pours magma over it.