Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]

Author Topic: Feces and Urine  (Read 36201 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Re: Feces and Urine
« Reply #240 on: June 15, 2010, 12:44:26 am »

I'm more afraid that the community would devolve into those type of trolls.

Again, I hate to burst your bubble, but those trolls are already here.

What that kind of statement suggests is either that (A) the presence of sewage in this game will devolve otherwise relatively sane and decent users of the forums into trolls who can only talk about poo because they have no self-control, and the mere presence of it in the game will cause them to talk about it non-stop, which is, incidentaly, not what happened with all the vomit that already was in the game, or (B) that new players will somehow hear about sewage in the game, and learn how to play the game soley so that they can make "LOL POO!" jokes, or that (C) after years of having other controversial things (Goblin Fortress, cannibalism, vomit and blood, to the point of having calls for blood oceans to drown enemies within, flooding the world with magma, systematic rape and consumption of mermaid babies, elven torture and genocide, and now the ability to eat brains, or have that Succubus mod where succubi can kill enemies with an extract that comes from their breasts) that could easily be mocked about this game, this is the one and only thing that would cause a heretofore unseen deluge of trolls to come from every corner of the Internet to make "LOL POO!" jokes.

It strains credulity to think that this will be any more the subject of trolling than everything else in the game, especially when we already get trolling and endless debates over silly things like whether or not Coopering should be its own seperate skill.

People (and I use that term loosely) are going to troll this place no matter what is in the game, especially considering as there's already elements of this game that tends to bring out the trolls already (such as the bloodiness of the whole game).

Well said.

Choose username

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 16, 2010, 09:30:20 am »

You guys are getting whipped up into some pseudo-psychological storm about poop trolls, so let us discuss the finer arts of dealing with Dwarven wastes that we so crave. The mere existence of it would generate jobs, you could place a toilet above the jail, you could craft toys and shields from it, you could even spread it as a fertilizer upon your crops. I'm sure there could be money to generate from the mushrooms that would sprout from feces, and you could even create drugs such as Jenkem from it.

EDIT: Another use could be a weapon! Throw it with a catapult at goblin hordes!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:31:54 am by Choose username »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 16, 2010, 10:01:43 am »

You guys are getting whipped up into some pseudo-psychological storm about poop trolls, so let us discuss the finer arts of dealing with Dwarven wastes that we so crave. The mere existence of it would generate jobs, you could place a toilet above the jail, you could craft toys and shields from it, you could even spread it as a fertilizer upon your crops. I'm sure there could be money to generate from the mushrooms that would sprout from feces, and you could even create drugs such as Jenkem from it.

EDIT: Another use could be a weapon! Throw it with a catapult at goblin hordes!

See? What are you people so worked up about?  The trolls are becoming more subtle and tame, already!

Anyway, assuming improved farming comes down the tubes, a sort of "sewage treatment plant" was what I was hoping for, anyway...  Basically, a fungus and worm farm that turns the sewage back into valuable fertilizer for the fields, which, in turn, would require refertilization, lest the soil become depleted.  (*ahem* It's a crappy job, but someone has to do it.)

It would also help move the game towards a "Conservation of Matter" goal I would really like to see implimented.  The game, as it stands, creates matter from farms, and annihalates matter once eaten.  (This is carried over with how recycling metal works, and other problems, but that's a major one I'd like to see addressed first.)  Hopefully, we could start working DF towards being a model self-contianed ecosystem, with the same matter sticking around, being perpetually re-used, especially when we get the new army and caravan arcs that will put finite caps on the amount of trade material or goblinite flooding the fortress...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]