Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Destroying unneeded items? (40d)  (Read 361 times)

hyarion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Destroying unneeded items? (40d)
« on: June 12, 2010, 04:28:27 am »

I've tried searching the forums but either no-ones posted anything or I'm just using the wrong terms.

Before I move to the new version I want to finish my current fort in 40d.  I started out with a grand goal of making the whole thing out of green glass.  It's been progressing very well (after 3 reclaims of the fortress due to spiraling unhappiness and murders - was funny and sad at the same time).  Estimates put the number of green glass blocks currently used at around 3-4k.

However as I'm replacing items from the initial years of my fort with glass items I'm left with numerous items that I dont want. e.g. 50+ wooden and rock doors, 80+ chairs, etc.  Is there any way to destroy them completely?  I don't want to just dump them as they just become a huge pile on a single tile and still exist.  I'd like to actually remove them.  I've considered creating a trash area where I can drop them into magma, but will they actually burn?

I'm also wondering if it might help increase fps to remove the hundreds of items?  Tho I think the clothing/armor items from all the goblins will probably have more effect, got about 200 bins accumulated, getting rid of as much as possible to the traders.

Most items I can just palm off on the traders - traders love visiting me, they get about 50x the value of their entire cargo back in profit  :P

However furniture can't be traded - not that I can find at least.

Any suggestions?

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Destroying unneeded items? (40d)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 04:53:49 am »

Furniture can be traded (as long as it's not constructed), but it's so heavy that most traders can't take much of it with them.

What you want is a dwarven atom smasher. Hauling all the stuff under the bridge will take some time, but after you pull the lever, it's gone for good. Be sure to use a drawbridge, not a retracting bridge - those don't smash stuff. Throwing all the stuff into magma (unless magma-proof) or a bottomless pit (always works) also works.

Destroying 100 or 200 items will probably not give you a noticeably better framerate, but when you smash a few thousand useless pieces of stone or goblin underwear, you cut down a lot on pathing and the game will become faster again.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

hyarion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 05:27:41 am »

The atom smasher looks like it'll do the job nicely :D

Many thanks!

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 05:46:30 am »

You've got magma, so I advise using that instead of the exploit-y atom smasher. Wooden things will burn in it, and rock items will be destroyed as long as they aren't magma-safe. If you've got no mods going on, that would only be bauxite items that would survive the magma. As for metal items, steel, iron, nickel, nickel silver, pig iron, platinum and adamantine are all magma-safe. All other metals will melt. The rocks and metals will leave a glob, but that should disappear when the season changes.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.