Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inside the out door.  (Read 1260 times)

jborynec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Inside the out door.
« on: May 29, 2008, 11:24:00 am »

I propose that we change the definition of inside to fix some common problems of suiciding civilians.

Note that "Inside" is a relative term. Inside of what?
It really should mean "inside my fortress".  

However, how do you tell what is "inside"?  
This could get tough in a complicated fortress.

Simple answer: the user designates it.
(at the start, all tiles are "outside" and remain that way until designated)

Finally, if you change the "all dwarfs stay inside" command to
pay attention to the "inside" attribute,
you now get much more acceptable behaviour.  

The user would esignate the inner parts of thier fortress "inside".  
The outer works of the fortress and the rest of the world remains outside.
When you say "only military dwarfs go outside".  only military dwarfs would go outside.  This would prevent dwarfs from trying to clean the trap surrounded by goblin archers.

There might be some issues with vermin and other stuff which might use the inside attribute.  I suggest that they really should be using the
underground and light attributes anyways, as they are more indicitave of enviornment anyways.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Inside the out door.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 11:32:00 am »

I always thought Toady would make a more definite way of identifying your fortress when Burrows come about.

I am looking forward to that arc. Perhaps more than the current one.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 02:06:00 pm »

Why?
Inside is easy as it is.

Does it have a roof?
If not, it's outside.

Simple.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »

However, that doesn't always define which part is the "Safe inside." So, you could have your traps inside your fort, and people would try to reload while the fight is still going on. Or alternatively, there is the problem with burrows. They may go to their room, which is inside, or the may go to another person's house, which is inside, or so on when neither have any food and thus they disobey orders or starve to death. And yet another problem, I like to build little huts or apartments aboveground, which are marked as inside, but are also not where the food is.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 12:05:00 am »

I'd say it should mark outdoor areas as unsafe and inside areas as safe, automatically, but should let you change the designations. For instance, I big hole in the roof of my current fortress that dwarves must pass under to access other parts of the fortress, to prevent cave adaption. I would need to be able to designate this area as safe, to prevent my fort from effectively being cut into quarters.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 09:27:00 am »

Maybe a designation for danger zones? Take the typical example of the corridor with all the traps that stops the goblin invasion. It's indoors for every definition of the word, but it's not safe. Thus you mark it as a danger zone. Parents don't let their kids play there. Pet owners make sure their pets stay away. And when the alarm goes off, people avoid it until the all clear sounds.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 10:19:00 am »

I thought with 'dwarfs stay inside', inside was defined as "once solid rock".

Ignoring any roofed topside buildings that are 'inside' in terms of inclement weather and cave adaptation.

...But what you are suggesting is expanding the pathfinding (d-o) designations to include a "safe-zone" definition.
Doable, I'd say. and probably already on the planslist.  :)

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 10:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mickel:
<STRONG>Maybe a designation for danger zones? Take the typical example of the corridor with all the traps that stops the goblin invasion. It's indoors for every definition of the word, but it's not safe. Thus you mark it as a danger zone. Parents don't let their kids play there. Pet owners make sure their pets stay away. And when the alarm goes off, people avoid it until the all clear sounds.</STRONG>

And now you understand why we need better forum software. The siege issue, stupid dwarf behaviiour during sieges, "door dancing" or all the other names that this problem has been given is brought up every 20th thread or so. And the solutions that are arrived at every time are designation of safe zones and/or military zones. It is also in a top position in the Big-3 lists.

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 04:39:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mikademus:
<STRONG>

And now you understand why we need better forum software. The siege issue, stupid dwarf behaviiour during sieges, "door dancing" or all the other names that this problem has been given is brought up every 20th thread or so. And the solutions that are arrived at every time are designation of safe zones and/or military zones. It is also in a top position in the Big-3 lists.</STRONG>

The obvious has a way of being stated again and again, doesn't it? Some topics keep coming back.   :)

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mickel:
<STRONG>The obvious has a way of being stated again and again, doesn't it? Some topics keep coming back.    :)</STRONG>

And some of them come back from the dead.  ;)