Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Melting Troubles!  (Read 525 times)

Habba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Melting Troubles!
« on: June 10, 2010, 10:33:29 am »

First of all, Hi!
Let me introduce myself, I'm Habba, as you see in my nick, and I'm a complete newby :D well, not really, I read the "Complete and Utter Newby Guide", and played along  :P

But in the chapter about magmamelting, it says that I won't need charcoal ever again, but now my melter keeps telling me i can't make Pig Iron nor Steel Bars because they don't have refined coal available!
Could someone tell me if this is normal, or there is something terribly, terribly wrong.

Btw: GREATEST GAME EVERRR (though i haven't played much, damn, the potential!)

Cheers!

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Melting Troubles!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 10:46:55 am »

You need coke or charcoal in order to make pig iron or steel, yeah. They are elements in the process of making the items, however, and not used as fuel, as they would be at a non-magma furnace. At a regular furnace, you would have to use one bar of coke to use the furnace at all, then one bar of coke in the reaction itself.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 10:48:33 am »

The production of steel has always needed a unit of fuel (coke or charcoal) to provide the carbon content. Just that with a non-magma smelter, that fuel also doubled as the heat source to do the job. With magma smelters, you still need your source of carbon even though the magma is there to provide heat.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Habba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 10:48:51 am »

Soooooo, you can't make a zero pollution furnace? :(

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 10:56:45 am »

This is about the steps to produce Steel. Anything else you don't need fuel anymore.
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 11:18:20 am »

Steel = Iron + Carbon

This is true no matter what.  You just don't need additional charcoal to heat the smelter in order to combine the iron and carbon.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Habba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 12:17:25 pm »

Owkay guys, thanx a lot :D
Other question (help a noob out :P) I have a tame leopard, and I'ld like to make it a war Leopard, like dogs, is that possible?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 12:37:49 pm »

Yep. In the current version, leopards appear to be trainable without modding, but since they're exotic creatures you might need to wait for the Dungeon Master noble to show up.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 12:45:27 pm »

Just that with a non-magma smelter, that fuel also doubled as the heat source to do the job.

Note that this was only true in versions 0.27.169.32a thru 0.28.181.40d - in the both the current version and the old 2D versions (up through 0.23.130.23a), making pig iron/steel at a normal smelter needs two units of fuel.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 02:00:12 pm »

Just that with a non-magma smelter, that fuel also doubled as the heat source to do the job.

Note that this was only true in versions 0.27.169.32a thru 0.28.181.40d - in the both the current version and the old 2D versions (up through 0.23.130.23a), making pig iron/steel at a normal smelter needs two units of fuel.
That would explain why my fuel calculations were off on "smelt immediately upon embark" operations.