Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Autosave!  (Read 8444 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Autosave!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 08:28:00 pm »

Or just allow for save and continue. It would still erase the save if you lose. If you want to be able to avoid that, figuring out how to savescum isn't that hard.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 08:34:00 pm »

Actually... I am starting to really like the idea of Saving without deleting in Dwarf Fortress... even if it is a cheat option

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 11:22:00 pm »

Keizo is just wrong.

I'm not even going to list all of the games you can save without exiting because it's obvious he just doesn't play them.

Save and continue is not the same as save scumming.

Some games even had a continuous save as you played - which PREVENTS save scumming more so than NOT saving the game as you play.

O.o  Who let the n00bs in?

Emerald Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

I'm beating a dead horse here, but Roguelikes have a long and proud tradition of encouraging players to "savescum" in order to continue their game when it crashes.  In ADOM, for example, most players recommend saving and backup up one's game before giving Khelavaster an amulet of lifesaving, due to a crash that often occurs there.  I remember backing up my saves frequently in Nethack, back when pushing a boulder onto a land mine resulted in a World Destroying Fatal Error.  Given Dwarf Fortress's alpha status, a save and continue option makes some sense.  I don't think it's a high priority but it wouldn't bother me either way.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

A 4th option to autosave (Other than No, Yearly, Seasonal) called monthly would be nice too, for all those paranoids out there.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 08:54:00 pm »

It should certainly be an option, but not the default one.

I mean, every loss adds so much to the game. Dead forts provide a place to explore, and dead adventurers at least provide the person who killed him some dialogue. I feel it's in the spirit of the game to have a "see where the cards fall" approach, rather than saving so you can choose the best path.

On the flipside, there will always be times where you WANT to be careful, such as setting up an ultra fortress. No one wants to lose all their hard work due to a silly mistake or crash.

Ryke Masters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2008, 11:11:00 pm »

Save and continue in Fortress mode? Very yes. Save and continue in Adventurer mode? Wouldn't mind it, but it is a roguelike and people get touchy about that. Besides, in its current form, it doesn't much need it, since the funniest part is often death or near-death.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 09:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by SirPenguin:
<STRONG>It should certainly be an option, but not the default one.

I mean, every loss adds so much to the game. Dead forts provide a place to explore, and dead adventurers at least provide the person who killed him some dialogue. I feel it's in the spirit of the game to have a "see where the cards fall" approach, rather than saving so you can choose the best path.

On the flipside, there will always be times where you WANT to be careful, such as setting up an ultra fortress. No one wants to lose all their hard work due to a silly mistake or crash.</STRONG>

Well, the save is already 'lost' when you die, so it's more of a protection against crashing and losing everything you did since the last autosave.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 10:21:00 am »

Save and continue in Dwarf Fortress would be like bookmarking the page you were on in a Choose Your Own Adventure Book. If something goes wrong, IT NEVER HAPPENED!!!
Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 10:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DuncanFrost:
<STRONG>Save and continue in Dwarf Fortress would be like bookmarking the page you were on in a Choose Your Own Adventure Book. If something goes wrong, IT NEVER HAPPENED!!!</STRONG>

Whenever i read those i get like 8 bookmarks and go through the book, reading EVERY ending. Heheheh.

But i think the "save and continue" would be just like how currently you can save, causing you to go to the main screen, then re-load. Save and continue would be like an auto save that you can activate any time.

It would be a good thing, because it would just save time. It would make save scumming easier, but its not like this is a multiplayer competitive game.

Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."
Pages: 1 [2]