Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: outdoor farming on stone!  (Read 440 times)

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
outdoor farming on stone!
« on: June 09, 2010, 04:12:56 pm »

This may be old news, but I just happened to notice that when you cut tower-cap, the ground beneath it becomes "muddy peat cavern floor". (This is in 40d - anyone want to check in 2010 for me?)

SO, if you immediately built a farm plot on it (so nothing else grew there), you could slowly create an area of peat floor.  If you then cleared the area above so it was outside, you'd have outdoor soil ready for farming.

I haven't tried this yet (would really have to start a new fortress, since my current one has its tree-cap farm quite a bit below ground level), but I was wondering if anyone had tried this.  In theory, you could even farm in all stone areas using Embark Anywhere.

Before I burn a lot of time trying this, does anyone else see why this wouldn't work?  Has anyone else tried it?

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: outdoor farming on stone!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 04:41:08 pm »

It does not work, if your soil (converted from stone) is in a mountain biome. Outdoor plants just don't grow there no matter what you do. If you just wanted to have an "above-ground" farm in a giant hole in a non-mountain-biome, it should work, but it's probably easier and somewhat dwarfier to drop a whole soil layer down a pre-dug hole.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
Re: outdoor farming on stone!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 05:45:42 pm »

Well... that sucks.  Glad you said so before I spent the time to try it out.