Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ramps not working in stone  (Read 592 times)

cakeonslaught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ramps not working in stone
« on: June 08, 2010, 05:25:16 pm »

Has anyone else had problems with perfectly good ramps not being used? I've had two instances now where dwarves refuse to use ramps between second and third level stone layers. They don't acknowledge the presence of goods between the layers either - the game thinks there's no ramp there, evidently...

HebaruSan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ramps not working in stone
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 05:45:27 pm »

I can't tell if you already know this from your post, but for a ramp to work, it has to be adjacent to a wall on the same level which is passable (i.e., floor, another ramp, etc.) on the level above. It's as if the ramp has to lean against that wall. Maybe you've got a ramp where the tile you expect them to use is open floor on both levels, instead?

cakeonslaught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 06:05:05 pm »

Aha, i've inverted it. I guess when i try to picture it it makes a little more sense.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
_____________ IIIIIIIIII
_____________/IIIIIIIIII

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 07:41:47 pm »

Aha, i've inverted it. I guess when i try to picture it it makes a little more sense.

_____________ IIIIIIIIII
_____________/IIIIIIIIII

That is an invalid ramp.  Check out the ramps section of the wiki and you will see why.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 04:13:54 am »

I've heard ramps are buggy in the last few releases, but I haven't had any trouble with them yet. If you don't understand how they work, just replace them with stairs. But yeah, a setup like that won't work with a ramp because the top of it terminates in a solid rock face.