Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: adventure mode character creation expansion  (Read 847 times)

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
adventure mode character creation expansion
« on: May 28, 2008, 12:17:00 pm »

Just reading the dev stuff about megabeasts getting injuries in world-gen an appearing in-game with them, it occurred to me that the same could apply to player adventurers. But instead of just suggesting that I want to open the thread for any suggestion related to character creation for adventurer mode.

Here's a couple of suggestions that come to mind:

* Let player customize the bodies of new adventurers. This includes adding specific permanent injures like missing limbs or eyes. Also, if possible in the future also add more specific stuff like hair and eyes colors, etc.

* Let the player choose a backstory for the character. Instead of just choosing a starting civ. Let the player choose which town, which parents, which religion, which relationships, and even which regular profession he/she carried out before becoming and adventurer.

Criticize away and add more stuff you would like to see added to character creation in adventure mode...

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: adventure mode character creation expansion
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »

I agree with you on the second bullet point. Although some of this should come from regular play in the future, It would give us more grounding in the world to have an ancestry and a few initial relationships. What I would like to add is some controls for personality- It would be fun to design what your character is like using the same metrics the dwarves have. Then, visiting yourself, you would have a character a little like your own role playing.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 12:53:00 pm »

To sort of expand on the second point, I really think we need some sort of "descendant" option upon creation. You hit that, then you can choose to be the son/daughter of a historical figure/previous adventurer/dwarf from your DF game.

It'll have little effect on ACTUAL game play, but it'd make much more interesting Legend logs, in addition to adding some cool roleplaying elements. Did you have a really nice fort which fell to Goblins? Come back as the long lost son of your Mason, hammer in hand, storming your old fort with vengeance in his heart.

[ May 28, 2008: Message edited by: SirPenguin ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »

Maybe in the "very very distant" future, DF could let you, uh, impersonate an existing creature as an adventurer instead of creating one? So, you have a menu to select certain feats and skills, and as you do, the game sorts through existing creatures from the civ you selected and you finally zero in on one that suits you most and play as him. Play Now! would select at random, with preference for those in interesting situations, like "currently participating in a siege", etc.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Maybe in the "very very distant" future, DF could let you, uh, impersonate an existing creature as an adventurer instead of creating one? So, you have a menu to select certain feats and skills, and as you do, the game sorts through existing creatures from the civ you selected and you finally zero in on one that suits you most and play as him. Play Now! would select at random, with preference for those in interesting situations, like "currently participating in a siege", etc.</STRONG>

Yeah, kinda like you are "possessing" that creature. Like a fey mood!

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 08:44:00 pm »

Urist Uristurist, Recruit, has been possessed!
Urist Uristurist has claimed a ☼Iron Short Sword☼
Urist Uristurist has begun a mysterious call to arms!
Urist Uristurist has created Uristlolil, a Dwarven siege!
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:01:00 pm »

I like the idea of possessions. Although I was thinking more about having the ability to somewhat create or mold a backstory instead of just choosing one.
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 12:45:00 am »

I love this idea, but I think its somewhere in the devnotes.  Although most of the suggestions on this board are somewhere in the devnotes.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 10:56:00 am »

All suggestions that have ever been suggested are in the dev_notes. The dev_notes are infinite, and have a mind and soul of their own. What we see on this website is only a small percentage of the full dev_notes, because seeing the full thing would be staring into the void itself, and would drive you to insanity.

Except the stuff about "teh dorf frotess shud be 3D!!!111one". That stuff is outside infinity, and stupid.

Also, I like the second bullet point in the OP. The idea of being able to choose a background for your character does sound cool, and would be a nice way of being able to put your character into the world.

[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: Bricktop ]