Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why should I wait to play? (upcoming new version)  (Read 1268 times)

crazz2323

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why should I wait to play? (upcoming new version)
« on: June 08, 2010, 10:09:43 am »

Ok, I know this has been asked before in the past but I had really started getting into DF 2010 a while back and with the bugs and upcoming graphics/merge it put me off on playing. So I waited hoping to hop back into DF after the graphics merge.

Accodring to the Dev log today, a new version will be released tomorrow. The log did say there is still alot to do but my question is at this point with the new version coming out, is it still worth waiting? Basically, is the game playable thru or will certain bugs like the military ones limit me to how far I can get?

What are the most glaring bugs (I don't have a bug tracker login) and are they show stoppers or can you get around them? If so how? I really want to commit to this game because it is so great but I want to know that I can go far first. Thank you so much for the info!

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why should I wait to play? (upcoming new version)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 10:27:43 am »

Most of the things that really ticked *me* off are gone, as of the new release.  Stupid crashes and double mayors and so on.

The military system is still extremely bugged, but if you're willing to finesse it and do some unnatural things you can make it work.  It's not totally game breaking.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 10:34:38 am »

I've finally figured out how to make a functional steel-wielding, steel-equipped military. I can guide you through the process, if you like.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

crazz2323

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 11:21:22 am »

Thanks for the replies! The military system is a big concern for me and if you don't mind, I would love a step by step on how to finesse and or avoid the bugs and get a functional steel-wielding, steel-equipped military.

So the major bugs are mainly with the militarty? Is that the next big fix planned by Toady? If so, maybe I should wait another month :( I thought ui read somewhere that all armor counts as leather ... can't remember though... I know i read Marksdwarves are bugged.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 11:38:43 am »

Here's how I do it, and it hasn't failed yet.

Step 1: Appoint an arsenal dwarf.
Step 2: Produce steel gear. One order of gauntlets and boots produces a left and a right, so just make one order of each. So, for each dwarf you intend to have in your military, produce one order of:
* battle ax
* shield
* helm
* greaves
* mail shirt
* breastplate
* gauntlets
* high boots
Step 3. Create a uniform. I tend to call mine FullmetalAxedwarfist, but the name doesn't matter. You can get here from the military menu through [ m ]ilitary-[ u ]niforms. Assign one order of each item in the previous list, and change their [M]aterial to Steel, and change Partial Matches to Exact Matches, and make sure the Wear Over Clothing option is active.
Step 4. Create a squad that wears your uniform.
Step 5. Make absolutely certain no merchants, diplomats, or anyone else that might possibly wear steel armor is on the map anywhere. Otherwise, your arsenal dwarf may assign someone else's steel equipment to your dwarves.
Step 6. Add one dwarf to a squad assigned to your uniform.
Step 7. Let him get his equipment before adding another dwarf.
Step 8. Repeat steps 5-7 until your military is done to your satisfaction.
Step 9. DO NOT EVER SET YOUR DWARVES TO ACTIVE.
Step 10. Build a barracks for your dwarves, and enable the individual and squad equip, as well as training.
Step 11. Only give orders to your military in times of emergency. While not on-duty, they'll be performing individual combat drills in the barracks.

This is the system I've used, and it hasn't gone wrong yet.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 11:45:59 am »

* battle ax
* shield
* helm
* greaves
* mail shirt
* breastplate
* gauntlets
* high boots

Note that dwarves can wear 2x mail shirt + breast plate, also cap + helm, so you may want to add steel cap and another mail shirt to this list if you want optimal protection.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 11:48:38 am »

* battle ax
* shield
* helm
* greaves
* mail shirt
* breastplate
* gauntlets
* high boots

Note that dwarves can wear 2x mail shirt + breast plate, also cap + helm, so you may want to add steel cap and another mail shirt to this list if you want optimal protection.
Thanks for the tip! I shall consider this.

crazz2323

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 01:53:26 pm »

Great, so with these tips I can have a fully armed and operational ... military? That's one of my concerns for starting after the next update down.

What about medical? Is that still in bad shape?

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 02:26:49 pm »

Medical seems to work for me, including wound cleaning, sutures, splints, everything. I also have the military working mostly to my satisfaction, although I dunno about marksdwarves at the moment. Hopefully they will be fully working soon. I'd definitely recommend not waiting to play. 31.05 runs well and is reasonably stable, it's fantastic stuff.

- Ops
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 03:58:52 pm »

If you're that concerned, switch invaders off and start your first fortress. Get used to all the new stuff. Then you can worry about learning to tread around the military bugs (which never bothered me as I like melee and steel armour gives good survivability to offset the lack of defence skill training right now). You'll have to learn how to handle a hospital anyway which will take time.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

TexasTitan001

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 04:09:43 pm »

What exactly are the 'crippling military bugs' aside from the active job one(that's been fixed as of a few days ago)?  And the equipment one.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 04:14:00 pm »

The active job one as in dwarves never ever doing civilian work again once they start training in the barracks? The one glaring one is official group training not working - sparring and group classes. Without those, you can't train defensive skills. The other glaring one is marksdwarves refusing to shoot - you can get them to train marksdwarfship but you'll never get them to shoot in live combat. There also happens to be the occasional (and seemingly random) "crash when you use the 's' screen to command squads" which I've been hit by a number of times.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

crazz2323

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 08:18:31 am »

Ok, good stuff thanks all! As soon as the next release comes out (still hopefully today) I will get back into it.