Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Handful of questions  (Read 344 times)

Dan Backslide

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Handful of questions
« on: June 08, 2010, 01:06:35 pm »

Greetings, I just recently started DF and have a few questions.
#1: Is there anyway to dump or otherwise remove sand from the floors quickly? My base is coated in red sand and no amount of glass making it reducing it.
#2: From what I've read there is no nice way to get rid of down stairs/ramps without simply constructing a floor above it, is this true?
#3: Is there a way to build a floodgate into a wall so I don't have to hook it to a lever and then risk a miner by hitting the last section while it is in the open position?
#4: Is there anyway to clean up the "u" menu with all the names? It shows a bunch of tame animals I killed and I don't want them on there crowding it anymore than it already is.
I appreciate any help, thank you.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Handful of questions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 01:30:06 pm »

#1: Is there anyway to dump or otherwise remove sand from the floors quickly? My base is coated in red sand and no amount of glass making it reducing it.

Sand is infinite, no amount of gathering sand will use it up.  To get rid of it use constructed floors or roads to pave over the sand.  This will not destroy the sand but it will hide it.

#2: From what I've read there is no nice way to get rid of down stairs/ramps without simply constructing a floor above it, is this true?

Down stairs can be channeled out, which will leave a down ramp.  Down ramps are actually on the Z-level below.  Build a floor over them to block them out.

#3: Is there a way to build a floodgate into a wall so I don't have to hook it to a lever and then risk a miner by hitting the last section while it is in the open position?

You can remove the last section from above by channeling.  There's no way to simultaneously mine out the last space of rock and install a floodgate at the same moment.

#4: Is there anyway to clean up the "u" menu with all the names? It shows a bunch of tame animals I killed and I don't want them on there crowding it anymore than it already is.

No, dead creatures on the unit list never, ever go away.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Handful of questions
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 04:07:08 pm »

Channel those stairs out. Ramps can be removed by designating the up ramp below to be removed. Alternatively, perform a cave-in - no way is it nice but it'll do the job.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.