Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Items becoming "Stuck"?  (Read 2915 times)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Items becoming "Stuck"?
« on: June 07, 2010, 07:21:45 pm »

Throughout many different fortresses in 0.31 I've encountered a problem where items become stuck in the world. They're totally ignored by dwarves no matter what they're designated with. Almost as if they were marked Forbidden. And no, they are not. I even tried marking them as such and then reclaiming them, but no dice.

For example, when attempting to build a trade depot on one or more of these stuck items it will simply be suspended over and over because the item is in the way. Dwarves won't touch it. This usually happens with very minor things like rocks I'm trying to dump. But on one particular occasion, my entire embark stock of cloth was stuck onto the cloth pile I designated. My coal and metal bar pile did something similar, the dwarves would pile the items into single stacks while completely ignoring the wooden bin(s). I made MORE bins and the items were still ignored. It might not be related because they were able to use them still, but there was nothing I could do to get them into bins.

I decided to post this because I just ran into a few stuck stones again and I wanted to know if anybody else has encountered this, and if there is a way to fix this.

EDIT: This also happens quite often with buckets after relocating a furniture stockpile. They stay in the original stockpile location but are never moved to the new one and they become stuck.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 07:26:10 pm by debvon »

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: Items becoming "Stuck"?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 07:43:47 pm »

Forcibly move the object, like with water or a cave-in. This problem is caused by an item being tasked when a fortress is abandoned, they are still quasi-tasked upon reclaim. Forcibly moving the object is the only way to get your dwarves to move them.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 08:13:51 pm »

I see, I'll try forcing them away; however none of these items have been stuck in reclaimed fortresses. In fact I've only ever reclaimed a fortress once but didn't bother with it for long.

cakeonslaught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 09:31:59 pm »

I've noticed that sometimes dwarves will ignore dumping certain stones, but in my experience they do eventually get to them.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:27:30 pm »

I had this problem the other day with a mechanism from disassembling a gear assembly.  They absolutely would not move or dump the mechanism no matter what I did.  Forbid/unforbid, dump, whatever.  When I built a wall on its square, they moved it over one, and then refused to touch it in the new spot.  When I used this to put it onto a floor hatch over a hole in the ground, allowing to to then drop a few levels when I pulled a lever, they refused to move it from the new location.  Now it is buried in a pit out of the way and not bugging me, but damn it, I wish they'd do something with it.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 01:43:33 am »

Build a 1x1 dump, make it the only active one, mark the object for dumping.  Then you can remove the dump if you want.
I've never seen this not work.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 06:58:24 am »

By items getting stuck, do you mean items that are scheduled to be used in some job that is never being completed?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 09:53:51 am »

Another possibility is ownership. I've found it quite annoying that dwarves won't touch owned objects lying around when they're marked for dumping. They do move these to allow a construction, though, so it's not all bad.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 11:03:15 am »

Build a 1x1 dump, make it the only active one, mark the object for dumping.  Then you can remove the dump if you want.
I've never seen this not work.
This doesn't work for stuck items in my games. I always have a garbage dump active somewhere, and I always try relocating it and removing the other one, but it doesn't help.

By items getting stuck, do you mean items that are scheduled to be used in some job that is never being completed?

Actually now that I think of it, MAYBE.. that would certainly make sense with the bucket/empty barrel since I usually plop down all of my workshops before I have the needed dwarves to construct them. Are stones queued up for use even when they're not at the top of the list in the workshop?

This doesn't explain the bin problem I had at one time though, that has me really baffled.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 11:15:38 am »

>.> They aren't forbidden, are they?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 12:27:18 pm »

Items that are marked as "in use" will cause conflicts, such as dwarfs will refuse to move stone out of the way of a building being constructed if that stone is in the process of being dumped, used as a component in another construction, etc.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.