Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Love and Hate  (Read 708 times)

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Love and Hate
« on: June 11, 2010, 04:47:53 am »

The current relationship system classifies dwarven relationships as friends, aquaintances, lovers, grudges, family members, and so on. The system is neat, but simplistic and inflexible. I propose that a system where a dwarf's relationship with another dwarf has two different variables:

The first, "feeling" (for want of a better term), describes how the dwarf feels towards the other dwarf, ranging from "love" to "like" to "neutral" to "hate", differentiating between romantic and platonic love. The variable will be adjusted accordingly to not just how compatible the personalities are and how much they come into contact with each other, but also their actions. Dwarfs will like each other less if say, dwarf A kills dwarf B's father, a furnace operator melts down a weaponsmith's masterpiece steel axe,  or if a dwarf A's lover falls for dwarf B.

The second, "relationship", describes the type of relationship the two dwarfs share. This is similar to the current system. Non-familial relationships, like friendship and romance, will be affected by the first variable.

The advantage of this new system is that a dwarf is now capable of becoming hateful towards his spouse, his siblings, his parents, etc. How he feels about another dwarf can be independent of his "official" relationship with that dwarf. One-sided friendships and romances are also possible.

When a sufficient level of hatred is present, a dwarf will get an unhappy thought from the mere sight of the one he dislikes. He may start a fistfight with his nemesis, and may even make a serious attempt to murder him, possibly with a stolen weapon.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Re: Love and Hate
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 05:06:08 am »

Yeah i agree

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 05:11:38 am »

Hear hear!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 10:42:52 am »

The Hammerer will like this.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 11:12:23 am »

I never thought that the current system was bad, but now I'm thinking this is much better. I like the multidimensional aspect.

Perhaps more dimensions could be added as well?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 12:48:29 am »

It should be possible to break up or prevent fights by stationing fortress guard. There should be some way to prevent murders as well. Otherwise you'd just lose dwarves randomly and that's no fun.

Murders probably shouldn't take place in the meeting area too often. A little self-preservation is expected.

Bonus points if a timid dwarf that hates someone passionately opts to avoid him instead of suffering constant unhappy thoughts. Dwarves determining how to do that would be highly complex though. Depression and hopelessness would be requisites. Psychology in general would need to be far more complex for this to really work.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 12:53:03 am by Pilsu »

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 03:11:33 pm »

The King and Queen spending as much time away from one another as possible, as they simmer with burning hatred while the Queen  spends far too much time in consultation with the Hammerer. The question on everyone's mind- are the King's heirs even his children?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."