Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Standard goblin seige?2010  (Read 3523 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Standard goblin seige?2010
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 08:18:19 pm »

Well, I just got my fort up to 80 population, and a siege came within a season.  We've got a bit less than 300000 created wealth.  (More, now that the mid-siege mood is complete.)  I got a single squad of 15 swordsgobs, and a hammergob RIDING A GIANT TOAD.

They killed a dog who attacked them, and a kitten who happened to be outside, while the rest of my fortress ran inside.

Then the giant toad jumped into the outdoor well.  The hammergob drowned.  The giant toad is still sitting there, and most of the swordsgobs are standing around the totally bloodsoaked well.

This might be what you can expect.
I'd be emptying that well quicker than you could say... "Was he riding a giant toad?"
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Surray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 08:03:44 am »

So I've been playing several fortresses and all I've had attack me so far is random wildlife (above ground and underground) as well as forgotten beasts underground.

What do I have to do get normal goblin sieges? Is there some way to check if there will be goblin sieges in a particular world or not?
I've never seen a goblin siege (I only started playing DF2010) and I'd really like to have some good old fashioned battles.

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 10:28:43 am »

What do I have to do get normal goblin sieges? Is there some way to check if there will be goblin sieges in a particular world or not?
I've never seen a goblin siege (I only started playing DF2010) and I'd really like to have some good old fashioned battles.

You can check to see races you're in contact with when selecting the embark location. If goblins are in that with WAR or red dashes, then you should eventually get ambushes and sieges.

Surray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 11:01:27 am »

Great, thanks a lot!

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 08:18:49 am »

I got my earliest ambush ever in 2010... 20 Hammer and pike goblins partway into year 2.  My entire population of dwarves was 13. 1 servicable soldier. no armor, no defenses.  It was awesom.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 10:04:03 am »

You guys aren't getting trolls?  Usually I get troll cooks, troll weavers, troll animal trainers, troll brewers... all attacking along with the goblins.
igless

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 11:37:37 am »

I have seen a number of goblin sieges in df2010, they come thicker and faster than the older versions. In my experience theres always more than one squad (even in ambushes for me) and squads are of at least 5 goblins, although 10-15 is more typical. All golbins in the same squad wield the same weapon, they are rarely wresters, spears, bows, axe, hammer, sword all being common. The biggest siege ive seen had about 140invaders total. Once your getting voer 30 goblins, or on your second seige or have lots of wealth (dont know exact numbers) you get trolls as well. trolls come approx 1 to every 5 goblins. Also goblins bring mounts. This seems abit random. Ive had large sieges with just one or two mounted, and medium or large sieges with almost every goblin mounted. They often come mounted by the squad.

As far as gear and skill goes, they generally have a mix of copper and iron gear, with breast plates being less common than chainmail. I dont know about skill tbh, as i cant check it in game (is there a way to do this?) but i guess they are between average and competant skill based on their combat ability. A dwarf with iron or better chainmail, and competant skill will usually dispatch two or more goblins sustaining minor injuries. They will butcher untrained or poorly equipt soldiers easily. War dogs are almost useless, big war animals can fare better. Stone fall traps dont do much, cages are still awsome, flooding traps work best (sort of).

I dont think their strategy of waypathing has changed much since older versions. They just hunt anything alive on the surface and then charge your main gate. If you close your main gate and they cannot waypath things get odd. They will just sit around until you reopen. When you do reopen often only one or two will attack you initially, making using flooding traps a right pain in the butt as you can only get two or three at a time, and my traps tend to take an age to drain for reuse.

Goblins dont appear to flee as easily as they did in older versions (e.g. kill 4 and 40 run). If they sit round out side for along time some drift off whilst others sit there. They will flee but you have to kill most of em.

wealth appears to the biggest factor in determining siege strength, rather than years of fortage or population. I hit adamatium early in one fort, and one of my dorfs decided to make an artifact out of it. I had about 30 dorfs and huge fort wealth in the third year and was getting two sieges a year of 40+gobos....   your strength has failed

that about somes up my experience which is based on about a dozen sieges, others must have more excperience than it though, and my obeservations maynot be the norm
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 11:42:05 am by de5me7 »
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 05:42:58 pm »

Has no one else been seiged by goblins riding flying creatures? I once saw a goblin macelord riding a giant cave swallow, fortunately it flew right into my weapon trap filled entry way.

I usually get trolls as well as goblins riding underground creatures, fortunately nothing more dangerous than giant toads and elf birds.

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 06:46:51 pm »

When my goblins are mounted, usually at least some of them are on flying mounts. Luckily they don't make good use of their flying mounts. I understand the AI is controlled entirely by the mount, and it just goes where it wants. The best example of this is a goblin crossbowlord mounted on a giant bat leading a squad of mace goblins. He could have flown a few zlevels above my army and destroyed them, but the bat flew down and tried to bite a dwarf, resulting in his horrible death and the death of his rider.

After a few sieges, the leader of the goblins tends to come along, although his squad is one of the last to attack, and will generally retreat after everyone else is dead. I've killed my goblin leader, and I haven't seen a single gobbo since, not even a baby snatcher. Does anyone know if I'll ever see another goblin siege on this fort?

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 01:26:45 am »

wealth appears to the biggest factor in determining siege strength, rather than years of fortage or population. I hit adamatium early in one fort, and one of my dorfs decided to make an artifact out of it. I had about 30 dorfs and huge fort wealth in the third year and was getting two sieges a year of 40+gobos....   your strength has failed

Huh.  I guess that means I'll be getting a siege pretty soonish then I suppose.  Just hit year 4.  Found and mined an adamantine vein recently and a craftsdwarf just made a million dollar artifact out of adamantine wafers and adamantine thread. 

I don't even know if I've had normal goblin ambushes since almost all my dwarves are underground and don't really approach the upper entrance to my fort.  I just keep finding mutilated goblin bodies (about 5 so far, on two different occasions) in the access traps on the surface whenever I need to get more wood.

Guess I need to update my weapon traps if a siege is coming (currently only have a string of 5 serrated whirling bronze blade things).
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 03:57:57 am »

Well, I just got my fort up to 80 population, and a siege came within a season.  We've got a bit less than 300000 created wealth.  (More, now that the mid-siege mood is complete.)  I got a single squad of 15 swordsgobs, and a hammergob RIDING A GIANT TOAD.

They killed a dog who attacked them, and a kitten who happened to be outside, while the rest of my fortress ran inside.

Then the giant toad jumped into the outdoor well.  The hammergob drowned.  The giant toad is still sitting there, and most of the swordsgobs are standing around the totally bloodsoaked well.

This might be what you can expect.

Wait, the toad murdered its rider?

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 07:12:59 am »

my only siege so far is similar to to others, hit 80 pop at about 2.6mil dorfbucks fort value, got a single squad of 10ish gobs (all bloody marksgobs though) with a single leader mounted on a giant olm. my defenses weren't totally sorted and my military is wonky, so I lost a couple of dwarfs before the gobs fled and were hacked down. time to finish those defenses before the next one.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 08:29:13 am »

The sieges seem a little less predictable to me in 2010.  Granted, I'm not all that experienced...  But in 40d they seemed to come about the same time almost yearly.  And they seemed to steadily increase in size.

My first run-in with goblins in 2010 was two simultaneous ambushes.

Then I got a regular siege.

Then I went a couple years with absolutely nothing.

Then I got a siege being led by a goblin on a giant toad.

Then a titan showed up.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 09:20:45 pm »

You guys aren't getting trolls?  Usually I get troll cooks, troll weavers, troll animal trainers, troll brewers... all attacking along with the goblins.
Srsly? That's hilarious. I'm imagining these sort of apron-wearing, domesticised trolls with their hair up in buns sort of wandering across the battlefield bellowing about the division of labour and flower arranging and the working class.

At least, brewertrolls throwing barrels around and weavertrolls with embroidery needles would be hilarious. The cooks with their cleavers, not so much.
Pages: 1 [2]