Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quirky items of YOUR production  (Read 677 times)

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quirky items of YOUR production
« on: June 07, 2010, 04:50:10 am »

Example: 10 goblin bone bolts (by a legendary bonecrafter) encrusted with red diamonds by a legendary gem setter.

DUM DUM DUM!
Share yours.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: Quirky items of YOUR production
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 06:04:59 am »

Agegul, Daubcontrol, a Rope reed braies

This is a Rope reed braies.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is encrusted with Heliodor.  It is made from Rope reed cloth.  The thread is emerald with Emerald dye.  This object menaces with spikes of Rope reed.

That's right, we have artifact underwear.  And it *menaces* with spikes of... cloth?  Somehow, I'm surprised they weren't made out of limestone.

Gusiloggez, The Copper Hole, a Highwood Barrel

This is a Prickle berry wine Barrel (Highwood) <#22>, All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is encrusted with Marble, decorated with green glass and encircled with bands of Highwood and Limestone.  This object menaces with spikes of Tsavorite, Dendritic agate and Native silver.  On the item is an image of two whip vines in Yellow grossular.

Which is more notable mostly for containing no copper whatsoever, in spite of the name (and we have *tons* of copper, silver, and even some Bismuth, but not a speck of iron yet, except what the goblins bring us).

There's some other artifact (a coffer, I believe) which has a nice inscription depicting an elf devouring a dwarf.  I'm not sure I want to know what brought that on.  The only elf who has attacked us so far was in cahoots with the goblins, which doesn't give me much of a reason to trust the pointy-eared devils.  they've even got a leadership position in the parent dwarven civ, so I'm keeping the captured elf on display as a warning.  He's near our caged (and "tame") dragon, who we can't really trust after he ate one of our dogs on the way in.

That said, rivers are great.  Just construct a bridge over it (using constructed floors, not a true bridge object) and line that with cage traps, then put walls and doors on either side, so you can lock it if you want to.  Fun!
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 09:09:52 am »

what do I do to see the engravings on walls/items?

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 09:16:14 am »

There's an init option for it.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:38:56 am »

Loo[k] at it (scroll down using -+ if it's not the item that's on top) and hit enter. For engravings the description is given immediately, for items you need to [v]iew it. If you want (or don't want) a full description of what's going on instead of just something like "An image of a dwarf and goblin. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture." you need to edit the data/init/d_init.txt or data/init/init.txt (depending on your version: for 40d## and 31.04-05 it's in d_init.txt, for 31.01-03 it's in init.txt). Look for the line [SHOW_ALL_HISTORY_IN_DWARF_MODE: and set it to YES if you want an explanation, or no if you don't want one. In the 0.31 versions it's by default turned on.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 11:13:14 am »

Loo[k] at it (scroll down using -+ if it's not the item that's on top) and hit enter. For engravings the description is given immediately, for items you need to [v]iew it. If you want (or don't want) a full description of what's going on instead of just something like "An image of a dwarf and goblin. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture." you need to edit the data/init/d_init.txt or data/init/init.txt (depending on your version: for 40d## and 31.04-05 it's in d_init.txt, for 31.01-03 it's in init.txt). Look for the line [SHOW_ALL_HISTORY_IN_DWARF_MODE: and set it to YES if you want an explanation, or no if you don't want one. In the 0.31 versions it's by default turned on.

Thanks. I have it set to full, and here is one description of a floor tile:
... Utes Spiderpointed the goblin is withering away. The artwork relates to the killing of the goblin Utes Spi... by a trap in Paintfeed in the early winter .. during The Attepmted Abduction at Paintfeed.

:DDDDD

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 02:58:15 pm »

a leather boot with an image of a pig tail boot in pig tails on it, why he did not just make a pig tail boot I do not know
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.