Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sieges and catapults  (Read 903 times)

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sieges and catapults
« on: June 07, 2010, 11:00:56 am »

Just fought off my first goblin siege, with no casualties or even injuries. I know it gets harder, but im pretty happy I aced my first one.

Ten or so gobbos showed up and hung out on the edge of the map in a wide circle formation. I assume they couldnt path to any of my dorfs, as none were building destroyers and I had doors. they didnt path even when I sent dwarves outside, and only engaged my millitary when i came close enough.

I also hastily constructed some catapults to fire out of fortifications carved into my walls. The catapulted stones would pass over the same tile a gobbo was on, but would pass through it as if it was not there. Does a catapulted stone lose the ability to damage over a certain distance, or do catapults just do little to nothing?

CaveFather sends it's greetings, currently residing at ninety dorfs, two million dorfbucks, a captured titan, a labrynth full of giant scorpions and a magma-flooded special ore vein.

Sulphuratum

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitteh!
    • View Profile
Re: Sieges and catapults
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 11:39:02 am »

first things first congratulations for your first siege.
second thing, catapults only hurt the things, which are in a 3/3 grid around the landed boulder.
It hits things just where it lands, the flying stone is just flying over their heads
Serpentine fried up in olivine oil and limonite juice?  Sounds gneiss.

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:11:08 pm »

catapult stones land? never read that anywhere before. Do I designate a target area or something? From what I've seen, stones always just fly until they hit a wall or leave the map. Sorry if this is just questions- I intended to begin a discussion but it turns out I know very little about catapults.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:13:55 pm »

There has to be a target on the map.

Problem being that most targets in the game move much faster than the stone, and even if they were standing still you're unlikely to get a successful hit.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 12:44:52 pm »

Catapults are only useful for training up seige engineers (for the stats) and for getting rid of excess stone.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 01:28:57 pm »

Catapults are only useful for training up seige engineers (for the stats) and for getting rid of excess stone.

Catapults are great for moving large quantities of stone from one side of the map to the other. Just fling it across the map rather than hauling it. With several catapults and a proper collector basin, you can automatically have all stone quantum stockpiled without needing to give it any orders at all, not even reclaiming or ordering for dumping.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 03:15:35 pm »

Catapult behaviour is from the old 2D days. They haven't been touched since we moved to 3D - that's reserved for the Army Arc when sieges will get revamped properly.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.