Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DirtTowers, or The Outcast  (Read 4744 times)

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
Re: DirtTowers, or The Outcast
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 08:17:18 pm »

Hey, if you still need he role for the other few migrants, you could have them as bodyguards for the Councilors. Out of pity or something they leave them with Lollerdwarf. Or something.

Anyway, great story so far. I really need to get back to DF.
One question, which tileset is this?
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 08:19:03 pm »

Hey, if you still need he role for the other few migrants, you could have them as bodyguards for the Councilors. Out of pity or something they leave them with Lollerdwarf. Or something.

Anyway, great story so far. I really need to get back to DF.
One question, which tileset is this?

It's phoebus 31.08.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 04:29:47 pm »

Oh. Wow. It feels like I wrote this FOREVER ago.
-----

"Hey, Nil, look who it is!"

"Holy Armok! That crazy SOB is still alive! Well... that means I win. Pay up!"

"Armok damn it. I can't believe I lost THAT bet."

"Well, you did. Come on, let's have it.... 20☼, and not a single tiny sun less."

"Alright, alright, take your dirty money. Well, let's take the guys and go get our stuff back. Wait, where'd he go?"

"Kol, you go get the others, and I'll go find Zas. Hey! Hey, Zas!"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"NO!" Zas' mind roared, "This is too soon! Too soon! I'm not ready yet! Why are the here ALREADY? What am I going to do?!?"

"Zas! We're here for the pick and that mule we left behind!" Nil panted, out of breath, as he ran up to Zas.

"Okay, okay... come on Zas, think of something... I'll just have to stall him!" Zas mind raced as he started to speak. "Oh, hey.... Nil... it's been a while, huh?"

"It sure has. Where's the pick? And the mule?"

"Oh, they're, uh... right... well... down, uhh, there." Zas pointed.

"Well, let's go get them... Zas, is everything alright? You seem a little... off."

"Oh, no. I'm fine. Perfectly fine. /S a lot more fine than you're going to be..."

"What was that?"

"Nothing. You go on ahead down there. I'm going to go.... get something.... for you to eat. Yes! Some food. You're hungry, surely! I just know it!"

"Well yeah, a little, I guess..."

Cautiously, Nil walked down into the tunnel. It was illuminated with light pouring in from every side.

"Wait a minute." Nil thought, "what's holding up the ceiling?"

Nil walked cautiously down to the end of the tunnel, where he saw the answer to his question- a single support. As Nil turned back towards the way he came, he he heard a sharp noise come from the support. His head turned, and for a brief moment he was terrified. Then, nothing.

-----
Mmmm, violence!
Sorry about how short that was, the arrival of the migrants really split things up. The next update is completely text (with almost no dialogue), and it's also long, so the two balanced each other out quite nicely.

With Nil dead, the fate of the other four migrants hangs in the balance...

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2010, 08:10:32 pm »

....and the second half of that update.
-----

Zas carefully stepped down into the pit. When he saw Nil's shattered corpse, a grim smile came to his face. Nil wasn't going to insult Zas ever again. Zas had made sure of that. If only the others had been here with him...

"No, please, Zas!" They would say, "We're sorry! We never should have doubted you! Please, Zas, just let us go! We'll go off and never bother you again! Or we'll stay here, and be your servents, Zas, is that what you want? Please, just don't hurt us! We'll do anything you want! We're sorry!"

And as they begged, Zas would laugh. And as they cried, he'd spit on them. And as they screamed, he'd kick them. And as they died, he'd humiliate them, he'd let them see exactly what they had done to him all these years. And then he'd kill them.

His powerful arms flexed as he pictured their final moments- he could smell their sweat, he could see their blood, he could feel his boot crushing one of their necks. He could even hear- wait. What was that?

Zas had completely zoned out, and the sudden noise startled him. When he carefully looked up out of the pit, he saw four dwarves standing around, waiting... for, well, who knows what. Hadn't Nil mentioned something about "we"?

But, as Zas looked closer, he only recognized one of their faces! If Nil was behind him, and that dwarf was Kol, then who were these other three dwarves? Where did they come from?

Zas ducked back into the pit. He didn't want them to notice him, until he had a plan, until he knew who they were, until he had a chance to think, until...

Of course.

Goblins.

Yes, that was it! They had to be Goblins!! Posing as dwarves! Nil had said he came to get the pick and mule, so, they must be Goblin theives! But, how did they know Zas' name? What's more, how did they even know about the pick? Or the mule? Or Nil?

Clearly these weren't run-of-the-mill Goblins.

Then, it hit him. Zas realized all at once what was going on. The others had sent the Goblins here! That's how they knew about Zas, about Nil, about the pick about everything! They had always been jealous of him, and now they were finally going to take what he had made! They couldn't stand to see Zas prosper, oh no, oh no they couldn't. Zas smacked himself for not seeing it sooner. This is exactly the kind of thing the others would do!

Well, Zas would show them. Zas would show those dirty Goblin theives, he would show the council, he would show the entire planet what he was capable of.

Zas wiped the sweat from his brow. They had angered Zas for the last time.

He pulled off his gloves. Things were going to get messy.

------
Ah, the joys of writing. The more literary among you will notice that I probably used a few too many parallel structures, but to you I say, "nay!"

The next update is almost entirely dialogue again (sorry if that bothers some of you- we'll get back to more gameplay updates soon), but Zas finally gets a chance to show just how "capable" he really is.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 05:44:34 pm »

I'm running on four hours of sleep, so pardon the occasional type, kthx
-----

Zas calmly walked up to Goblin-Imposter scum. He knew he had to act naturally, or they'd suspect him.

But they wouldn't suspect. Zas was too careful for them to suspect.

"Hey, Kol, it's been a long time, huh?"

"Oh! Zas! Nil went to go find you. Have you seen him?"

"No, I haven't. Maybe he.... got "lost" somewhere?"

"Haha, yeah, probably. Listen, we're here for the pick we left behind, and also that mule."

"I can't believe you traveled all the way back just for that."

"We didn't. We heard that there were OTHER dwarves, Zas, can you believe that? We got a message from them and Nil and I were sent to bring them back to the mountainhomes. Your.... uhm.... lodgings.... just happened to be on the way."

'Even a GOBLIN dressed as Kol thinks he's better than me,' Zas thought.

"Well, I don't have either of them. The mule died months ago, and goblin raiders took the pick not long after."

Zas thought this extremely clever.

"Surely you aren't planning on traveling on right away, then?"

"We have to. It's not like we have anywhere to stop and make camp."

"Of course you do! Come on, stay here, with me. Not for very long," Zas added when Kol started to protest, "just a week or two. I've got the spare food, and booze.... well... the booze takes some getting used to, but it's just as good as the stuff old Urist always makes!"

Zas had a plan, and Goblin Kol was falling for it. He needed to make them think he had fallen for their ruse. Then he would have the element of surprise.

"Where do you expect us to sleep? Out here in the rain?"

Goblin Kol was trying to make Zas think that he wanted to leave. Luckily, Zas had counted on that.

"No, of course not! I've got an axe, so it won't be any problem to make a few beds, and there's...."

"There's.... what? ......Zas?"

"There's... caves! Yes, lots of caves. Caves all over the place around here. You can all sleep in my room tonight, and I'll find you a nice cave for tomorrow!"

"Well.... I guess we can't leave until Nil gets back, anyways, so- why is that funny?- so I guess it won't hurt to stay a few nights. What was that you said before about the booze?"

"Here, this way! Wait here, let me go clean up inside a little first."

"It's no big deal, we-"

"No, no! I insist! I uh... I insist. I'll just be a minute."

-----
Well, that's the last of those. Next update is back to gameplay and screenshots and all that dwarven fun. Meanwhile, I guess this means I have to start playing the game some more...

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2010, 08:05:26 pm »

I was told there would be snacks?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2010, 08:08:27 pm »

I was told there would be snacks?

Pages: 1 2 [3]