Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Avoiding parties!  (Read 2981 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Avoiding parties!
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 10:33:03 am »

The best way to deal with annoying children is to imprison them till they grow up.

Just like the bumble bees -- wall em in with some food and don't come out till your 12 and have a job! ~ George Carlin, paraphrased

But they're much more useful as human shields right now.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 05:56:33 pm »

and the other half are just you new joiners

and its already in the wiki , and stop being an idiot , i mean , it has been mentioned a hundred times , i'll give links if you want

you also didn't mention that you can cancel parties by deconning the tables while a party is in progress , it ain't that hard , unless you are one of those dirty idlers , it gives your fortress a way better hope then having no meeting zones
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 06:02:24 pm by Ze Spy »

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 06:23:57 pm »

How do you have marriages after the first year? I got my first marriage EVER on the 12th year of my current fort.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 06:35:31 pm »

1x1 room

or a smaller meeting room

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 08:54:44 pm »

Well, despite some naysayers, I just learned something new! Probably won't use it though. I like to work around the parties most of the time.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 08:58:40 pm »

How do you have marriages after the first year? I got my first marriage EVER on the 12th year of my current fort.
It happens alot with my original migrants. They all start with at least long-term acquaintance, some friends. it's natural a few of them become lovers.

reminds me of my previous fort, my two first miners (who I usually make my 'leader' dwarves) became lovers, they were my expedition leader/broker and book keeper/manager respectively, the leader being male. I thought they were cute and then in a large siege when I had to draft my whole population my leader was the only casualty

my poor book keeper never got over it, and she had to manage the whole fortress from then on :(

Xelek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2010, 03:50:38 am »

First time it has happened to me, actually, like half my population got married within 2 year... I'm as surprised as you are, really, especially since my dwarves have been quite busy.

I've been doing this for years. It ranks right up there with "the sky is blue" in OBVIOUS.
I don't remember asking you to read this thread. Does Bill Gates write to the authors of "Windows for dummies" to tell them how
OBVIOUS the information they give is..? No.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 09:21:08 am »

I've been doing this for years. It ranks right up there with "the sky is blue" in OBVIOUS.

That word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Protip: "Well-known" is not the same thing as "obvious". The difference between zone-designated and room-designated meeting areas is known in the community. It is not, however, intuitive, nor is it made plain in the UI. Last I checked, it wasn't even in the "getting started"/tutorial pages on the Wiki.

All of which makes it not obvious. You can look at the sky and see what colour it is. You can't just look at the DF UI and know that one type of meeting area will allow parties and another will not.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 11:56:25 am »

Well I learned something new.  Thanks! 

Don't mind the bitter old school players who get cranky because you typed a bunch of words that are similar to a bunch of words somewhere else.    Apparently you're filling up their previous internets or something. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]