Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Those online survey things  (Read 1043 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Those online survey things
« on: June 03, 2010, 11:35:05 am »

As I'm still desperately searching for work, my attention has been drawn to those "take a survey, get paid" things.

What I want to know is, how scammy they are, how would I get the money(I prefer mailed checks), how much of my personal information gets thrown about the internets, and what do I generally have to do for them. I don't neccessarily care how much I'd make, I know it won't be a lot.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Those online survey things
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 12:20:48 pm »

From what I've heard, there are a few that really do pay you, and aren't scams, but it's not much money.
Shoes...

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 02:17:25 pm »

My university offered a few. Made $150 off doing three. But personally I wouldn't trust online ones, especially since there's no way to tell beforehand which ones will or won't actually pay you.

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 04:33:58 pm »

Also, the ones that pay 'well' (meaning >$10.00) usually require payment on your part(i.e, 'buy our friend's $80 razor using this link). They're also super reliant on referrals.

Good luck getting mailed checks; you might make $50 every two weeks if you work hard. Most sites only offer Paypal.

If you're particularly enterprising, you could start your own website or blog or something, then advertise the heck out of it. I made an awful amateur website last year in 8th grade and 'sold' it to a 'friend' for $40 saying it'd make him bundles of cash, all in a fraction of the time it'd take to make even a fourth as much doing online surveys.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 01:45:10 pm »

I do them. I earned like $10 after 4 hours! I spent a third of it on Unreal World :D

They're not always scammy. Just watch out for the ones that enter you into a draw to win $500 and stuff. No point in entering a draw, you'll almost never win. You get paid what you deserve for your opinion, which is very little :P

Ohh.. and a lot of them kick you out if you don't mean certain prerequisites, like owning a car, house, buying groceries, etc. Very frustrating.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 09:06:35 pm »

Should I post my referral links now?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 06:11:45 am »

Should I post my referral links now?

Yes, please.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 08:27:49 am »

https://www.surveysavvy.com/ss/ss_index.php?id=3834046&action=join&lid=en-us

This is the survey company I prefer, they don't kick one out for screening fifteen minutes in as much as most other places.
As a bonus, any money I make will get sent to Toady, how's that for a deal?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 11:04:53 pm »

I have done 'real' ones in person, if you really want money, signing up for something like that might be good.

I got paid ~150 dollars once for testing Disney (HORRIBLE EVIL COMPANY OF DOOM!)'s Pirates game for a week, and sitting in a room forever.

They only do it every six months max though.

Never really tried the online ones, except through Peanut Labs (for free stuff in games), they usually work...if you pass that idiotic screening test.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 01:43:41 am »

Another way to make money is to get your local University to perform genetic experiments on you.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 02:45:27 am »

Another way to make money is to get your local University to perform genetic experiments on you.

Not to mention the added bonus of really cool genetic mutations!