Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A DF2010 Guide  (Read 1552 times)

veerserif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A DF2010 Guide
« on: June 04, 2010, 12:01:01 pm »

I got a bunch of my friends hooked on DF, so I started a guide to help them. It sort of spiralled into this massive... thing.

You can find it here: http://www.pcgwurm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=371

I hope to get a download link up later, since I have it as a .doc.

I'd like to ask for feedback and comments, particularly on the section about the first year. Also, any pictures that you may have of invaders, traps etc. would be very helpful. I also need help on the section about machinery and dealing with aquifers, since I'm quite bad at both. I'm also aware some sections are kinda taken from the wiki... I'll try to differentiate them in a later draft. 

Thanks for taking the time to read it. I'll credit everyone who helps in a special section at the end. I really hope this guide will help new players!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:32:20 pm by veerserif »

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Re: A DF2010 Guide
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 12:57:18 pm »

I haven't read much, but it looks good! Glad to see someone is attempting a new text guide for 2010. I recently gave up my 3rd fort due to a cave in basically killing my only miners, so I'll take some tips from this for my next fort  :D

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 03:06:54 pm »

I'll spare the nitpick details for someone else or way far in the future. I feel there should be a brief worldgen settings introduction but depending on your target audience this may be too advanced (though it's a great way to make the game easier/harder and tailored to you). Also, there are a few obsolete details - carp, elephants and unicorn are no longer killer machines (carp got nerfed, elephants and unicorns had their psychology pacified).

All in all, it's a good start and as it gets edited with changing versions, the mistakes will be ironed out. Good job getting it started and hope to see it polished one day. Indeed, one day it could be posted on the wiki as a "start by reading this as a not-so-short introduction" guide, since newbies don't have a clue what articles to read in what order.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 04:49:59 pm »

have you thought of video tutorials? something like jing should help you make somthing
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

veerserif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 07:52:30 pm »

have you thought of video tutorials? something like jing should help you make somthing
capn_duck has that covered already with his amazing tutorial vids :)

Psieye: thanks for the post! I was going to put worldgen at the end, mostly because I still need to work it out for myself. Thanks for the info about the animals though.

Cheese: Glad you liked it, I hope it helps :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 07:54:43 pm by veerserif »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 11:37:34 am »

Toward the end of the document you give the impression that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Another thing... In my opinion, getting some kind of food source set up should be task #1, before beds, dining rooms, whatever.  Dwarves can sleep on the ground and eat in the food stockpiles for a few years without getting grumpy.  On the other hand, a dwarf who is starving to death is not helped much by having a bed to sleep in ;).  For a more experienced player, getting beds sorted first is probably not a big deal, but I question prioritizing it above food in a guide for newbies, as I can easily see some getting frustrated when their dwarves start dying of hunger and searching for vermin while they are trying to set up bedrooms.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 11:45:15 am by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

YellowPebble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 12:25:36 pm »

I completely agree that a food source is the most important thing to set up, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the first thing you should do. If you have enough food to last a few seasons, you lose nothing by setting up living quarters first (and gain a small amount of dwarfy happiness).