Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farming and seeds  (Read 719 times)

YellowPebble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Farming and seeds
« on: June 04, 2010, 11:59:00 am »

I'm a little confused about how seeds work. Presumably they can be obtained from the plants themselves, to allow you to maintain a self-sufficient farm. Do you get more than one seed from each plant? How do you extract the seeds from the plant?

veerserif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farming and seeds
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 12:04:15 pm »

You get seeds when the plant is eaten raw, or it is processed (brewed, milled, or processed in a farmer's workshop). However, cooking destroys the seeds.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 03:12:55 pm »

I have a distinct feeling that milling wheat destroys the seeds but I think that is a bug that needs confirming.
herbalism should also get you seeds (or products that can be worked for seeds)

p
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Garan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 07:24:19 pm »

Each plant that is brewed or eaten raw yields one seed.
Each seed that is planted yields 1 to 5 plants or more, depends on grower skill and fertilizer.  With meager skill, 2 plant harvests are quite common.

If you don't cook the seeds and don't cook the plants and you plant your entire seed stock, you'll usually double your seed stock each planting cycle.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 09:52:08 pm »

um, isn't the milling of wheat the crushing and pulverizing of said plant's seeds?  they don't make wheat flour out of its roots!  So I would expect seeds to not be obtainable through that process.
igless

BlackWingReg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 01:36:02 am »

You get seeds from brewing, milling and processing (quarry bushes into leaves, pigtails into thread, dimple cups into dye powders, etc).

Dwarven agriculture clearly makes flour out of the husks and stems of cave wheat, and not the seeds. Don't ask me how. Or they just save one seed out of the rest.

The only process that will not result in a plant seed is cooking the plant.

YellowPebble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 06:34:20 am »

Hmm. That make sense.
I seem to have run out of pig tail seeds though, somehow. I've been planting them (I didn't have very many to start with), processing into thread, and weaving cloth. Without knowing how, I have no pig tails seeds or pigtails. I have some pig tail cloth and pig tail thread, but neither is any good for continuing my agriculture. Any ideas?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 08:57:34 am »

I've rarely had a season change that destroyed all my 'growing crops' in 40d, that's occasionally wiped out my seed stock for a type of crop.

You've got two answers, one's more work and the other's more waiting.  The fast answer is to gather plants aboveground, if you have plants up there, and hope that you have the right sort of terrain to grow 'marsh type' plants.  If your fortress is in a swamp, you're set.  If not, concentrate your gathering within a tile or two of the edge of ponds or your brook/stream/river.  If you're in badlands, mountains, or a glacier, this answer won't work at all for you.  You're looking for rope reed, and it's fairly rare.  Good news is that if you can harvest any rat weed or fisher berry plants, then your environment will eventually give you rope reeds, just keep gathering near the wetter areas.

Once you've got a rope reed plant, make a farm aboveground and process plants to get the seed or two for planting.

The easier and slower choice is to simply wait for the caravans to come.  Human and elven caravans may carry rope reed seeds, and there's a chance these will grow in your outside soil even if you're not in a marsh.  And your dwarven caravan can carry more pigtail seed, and definately will if you order it.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 09:48:01 am »

processing pig tails into thread should of produced seeds so unless you have pigtail roting in your farm or sitting in a stock pile some place I do not know wwhat is going, you could try building a clothier and make some bags to store the seeds in
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.