Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No seeds, no booze?  (Read 706 times)

Lorden

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
No seeds, no booze?
« on: June 04, 2010, 09:29:10 am »

I generated a custom world, using the medium region template, without any caverns and with maximum embark points just to mess around.

However in the embark menu no matter where I embark I never have seeds or booze. I have different varieties of meat and fish, but that's it.

Any ideas?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No seeds, no booze?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 09:42:51 am »

Embark with plants? Brew(NOT cook) them and get seeds.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lorden

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 09:52:15 am »

No plants either!

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 09:55:42 am »

Ah, you've stumbled upon a world without water in the caverns. I've had it happen to me too once. The water in the caverns is need for the underground to be muddied. When it's muddy, plants can grow. No water means no mud means no underground plants.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Lorden

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 10:07:03 am »

Ah hah! So since I disabled caverns = no underground water = no underground farming!

Thanks for the info, I was starting to wonder if I was kinda slow.

cecilkorik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 11:20:37 am »

Yeah if you want to still be able to do underground farming despite having no caverns, you will probably have to create some reactions that create the plants for you to get you started. You can remove them once you've got a decent supply of all the underground plants.

A few entries like this should work:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:FREE_FOOD]
[NAME:produce food]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:10:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:(plant name {from raws}):PLANT]
[SKILL:SMELT]

Then add [PERMITTED_REACTION:(reaction)] under [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] in entity_default raw. See http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Cheating for more info.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 11:22:28 am by cecilkorik »

YellowPebble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 12:02:11 pm »

Does this mean that all the other dwarf settlements have yet to figure out the mysteries of irrigation?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 03:10:39 pm »

Never mind irrigation, the other dwarf settlements never found any plant life to grow in underground farms.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 03:26:23 pm »

I think the stuff you can buy at the beginning depends on your civ.  If your civ doesn't have something, you can't buy it.  So your civ probably doesn't have access to underground crops.
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 04:32:44 pm »

I think the stuff you can buy at the beginning depends on your civ.  If your civ doesn't have something, you can't buy it.  So your civ probably doesn't have access to underground crops.
which would be true if they dont have caverns
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.