Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor Training - Weapon Traps?  (Read 1626 times)

epyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armor Training - Weapon Traps?
« on: June 04, 2010, 10:03:17 am »

Hey all, lurker breaking his streak to post a question.

Do any of you have a solid tactic for training up armor user level?  I have tried an arena pit for caged creatures (unarmed invaders etc), but have nothing but escapes while my dwarves attempt to pit them and then my slow armored green army chases a lone goblin for a full season without being able to catch him...

Is it possible to train up armor level by stationing steel armor dwarves in a room of upright spike traps and brutalizing them?  I was thinking this would be dangerous but not if they were loaded with wooden training spears, which I would think would be safe but would count as combat? 

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor Training - Weapon Traps?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 11:23:10 am »

Training rooms work very well, but you need to make sure you lock the door and make the room very tiny so there is no escape.

Really easy way to do this is first order the goblin's weapons to be dumped. Not armor, just weapons. You want him to have armor still. Makes him last longer. 

Station your soldiers in that room. Build the cage, link it to a lever, lock the door with the soldiers in the room, and pull the lever.

Goblin is freed from the cage and is then promptly used as target practice by the dwarves.

Bonus points if you're using wooden weapons. It lasts longer that way.  :D

To end the training session be sure to have a backup dwarf with an axe. Send him in there, even if its only 1 dwarf it will work fine, and finish off the goblin. The goblin will be utterly crippled at that point from the beatdown, but shouldn't be killed. The axe dwarf easily and instantly finishes the job.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 12:59:34 pm »

I should ask: with or without modding? As with modding, you can make a building that trains whatever skill you want and have your civilians train in that before they get taken up by permanent-individual-training. Without modding, training rooms yeah. I've never heard of a "spike your own troops with training spears" method - worth trying for the sake of science.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 01:02:10 pm »

Training workshops take forever though. With combat skills they train up far more rapidly using them in combat.

You can also just have your dwarves do individual training. They will practice their combat skills on their own.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 02:47:09 pm »

Solo training never gets armour and dodging skills up though. Until the military bugs of DF2010 are fixed, you need to keep getting your dwarves live targets or resort to training workshops which are indeed slow.
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 03:03:31 pm »

Solo training never gets armour and dodging skills up though. Until the military bugs of DF2010 are fixed, you need to keep getting your dwarves live targets or resort to training workshops which are indeed slow.

I have seen it raise it but it seems excruciating rare, my dwarfs do not train the stuff I want them to train and even individual and group training takes forever.  (actually group training seems worthless takes to long to start and all dwarfs don't even wait for the same training.  wooden spikes would likely injur or kill you dwarfs, I used to kill orcs in iron armor with 2 or 3 pokes of a spike trap :/.

you could breed cats, lots and lots of cats, than give your dwarfs a kill order to take them out, (probably wont improve weapons but would make for some increased axe skill)
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 03:09:03 pm »

I don't think you can give kill orders to pets - else we'd never worry about cats taking ownership of dwarves. Besides, getting weapon skill up is easy - it's the defensive skills that are in question.

epyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 03:42:41 pm »

Indeed!  Axe training I figure will come with time, but I want them to be steel clad but skilled enough to not be heavily encumbered.  I will test out a wooden training spear loaded upright spike trap on a volunteer dwarf and see if he:
1)  Dies horribly
2)  Gains Armor User skill

I would imagine in full steel armor he wouldn't take serious injury from wooden training spears.  We shall see.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 03:48:16 pm »

Indeed!  Axe training I figure will come with time, but I want them to be steel clad but skilled enough to not be heavily encumbered.  I will test out a wooden training spear loaded upright spike trap on a volunteer dwarf and see if he:
1)  Dies horribly
2)  Gains Armor User skill

I would imagine in full steel armor he wouldn't take serious injury from wooden training spears.  We shall see.

[ITEM_TRAPCOMP:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_BLUNTSTICK]
[NAME:stick:sticks]
[ADJECTIVE:blunt]
[SIZE:1600]
[HITS:1]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:5]
[IS_SPIKE]
[WOOD]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10000:6000:bash:bashes:shaft:1250]

Training spear buildable as an upright weapon trap. It should be completely incapable of killing anyone, but may cause broken bones.

So not only will it train their armor skill, but should also give your doctors some practice.  :D

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 06:10:47 pm »

It might be better to make it a piercing attack with 1 penetration and 1 size and a slow speed.  Then the worst it could do is give them a tiny scratch.  Actually maybe not, since that blunt attack might train your doctors as well, without actually killing anything. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 03:05:00 am »

It might be better to make it a piercing attack with 1 penetration and 1 size and a slow speed.  Then the worst it could do is give them a tiny scratch.  Actually maybe not, since that blunt attack might train your doctors as well, without actually killing anything.

I just copied the entry for a training spear. The training weapons are extra weak blunt weapons. I don't think its even possible to kill anyone with a training weapon.

Edit:
Tried this out in the arena. It is possible to kill someone with a training weapon, but it takes forever. Eventually they bleed out from all of the broken teeth. With a spike trap you're probably going to need to poke the dwarf with that training spear for a few decades.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 03:26:32 am by Hyndis »

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 07:09:43 am »

Can't you make a trap with more than one weapon?

... How long have I been away?