Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clutter Butcher  (Read 2923 times)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Clutter Butcher
« on: June 01, 2010, 09:23:32 pm »

I just threw a Forgotten into a empty butcher shop, and now it's at clutter as a 50 Large Items : 9x slower. SWEET! Waiting to see what goodies I get from him.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:25:42 pm by Brewster »

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Re: Clutter Butcher
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 09:40:43 pm »

129 meat
7 prepared heart
43 intestines
a feather
nervous tissue
119 bones
cartilage
big ol' skull
28 lung
90 fat

Thank you Utes Losteal the Invisible Dream of Beaches's and the few dogs and dwarfs who killed it.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 09:42:51 pm »

He had skin too, and it alone is cluttering up my empty tanner workshop!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 12:56:44 am »

Yeah, forgotten beast parts, even the smallest, tend to increase any shop to maximum clutter.
I had an FB head do it alone. The head alone gave me more meat than a typical horse.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 02:19:47 am »

How do you butcher Forgotten Beasts? My dwarves won't touch anything that wasn't killed right there in the shop.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Gus Smedstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 07:30:33 am »

The key to butchering kills is to have refuse pile that accepts corpses within a reasonable distance of the butcher's shop.  A dwarf dragging a beast is very slow.

- Gus

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 08:24:55 am »

The most annoying thing imo is that carrying a forgotten beast corpse to a refuse stockpile can take so long due to its weight. I do love my stacks of 197 forgotten beast meat roast though. Next time i'm gonna try making a roast of 4 forgotten beasts, to maximize the quantity of the stack, lol. Suprisingly forgotten beast fat isn't valuable, at least not the ones i came across. Dunno.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Gus Smedstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 08:47:44 am »

It's just not, other than how amusing it is to see your dwarves washing themselves with forgotten beast soap.

- Gus

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 10:00:02 am »

I feel the pain too... my hauler had to haul an FB from the depths of cavern 3 to the top of cavern 1 (about 300 steps including z's). I took him just under a season to get it there, then it took the butcher another season to do his work. I ended up with 287 units of meat. can't remember what the FB's original weight was.

And on a similar subject, who here has gone the mind-numbing tedium of through splitting tallow and fat into individual stockpiles? there are about a hundred entries for forgotten beast fat and tallow (in my world, I assume it's different for each world given different FB's) and setting all fat on one pile, and all tallow on another pile took me about 10 minutes and serious RSI to set the stockpile options. I wonder if it's feasible to automate this through DFHack?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 12:26:55 pm »

You could make an Autohotkey macro to do down, enter, 10 times at a push of a button. That would speed things up considerably.

I love butchery. Its like a dwarven lottery.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 12:31:22 pm »

You can just make a stockpile for your "other" types of food. This would include anything that you do not grow in your fortress, so the only time you get stuff in this stockpile will be from traders, fishing, and butchering. Including fat!

I have a huge stockpile like this right next to my kitchens, and I have about 8 kitchens. They churn through those fat stacks with surprising speed, and allow me to cook up a batch of roasts in no time at all.

Further away from the kitchens are things that I grow, like plump helmets. The supply of plump helmets is infinite, the supply of forgotten beast meat is not, sadly. But for the sake of variety I use stockpile positioning to encourage dwarves to eat the fancy roasts and exotic meats first, and only then fall back on the plump helmets if I run out of everything else.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 01:21:04 pm »

Currently I go with "Kitchens (and Soap Makers) must be close to the Fat stockpile" as it's too much effort to split fat from tallow. So I just keep the workshops close to the Fat/Tallow stockpile. More of a headache is tallow being done one at a time from a single stack - it'll probably take your cooks months to render all that FB fat on top of bringing it to the butcher's and then butchering it.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 01:25:34 pm »

Great way to train a cook up to legendary though as tallow doesn't have quality tags.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

zergl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 01:41:24 pm »

You could make an Autohotkey macro to do down, enter, 10 times at a push of a button. That would speed things up considerably.
This. Autohotkey is your bestest friend.

Here, you can have mine that I recently made to deal with stuff just like that:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Defaults to loop "ENTER and down" 10 times, with ALT+C you can set it to loop how often you want.

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 10:20:28 pm »

'Clutter Butcher' would make a good name for a metal band.