Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Still  (Read 2193 times)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Still
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 04:49:52 pm »

Going to do that from now on...accurate stills are a plus.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 07:47:54 pm »

I use whatever rock is on hand at first, and once my fortress is established, I use whatever precious metal is most common, either gold or platinum, in block form.

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 08:32:42 pm »

My booze has the fresh, mountain taste of dolomite.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 03:08:32 am »

I make my Stills out of Microcline. Hell, I make everything out of Microcline.

Even the floodgates meant the keep out magma.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 03:54:55 am »

Sounds like you have a lot of Fun.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2010, 04:44:36 am »

As long as you make it out of a stone that's fairly stable and non-reactive you'll be fine for realism, copper isn't even used anymore in major fermentation processes - plastic and steel are used for health reasons (fun fact they still add tiny amount of a copper compound so the taste remains the same) the egyptians used covered stone pits to ferment their beer.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2010, 06:13:12 am »

I'm in the pitchblende camp - in fact I bring 20 stones of pitchblende on embark so I can get started on these things right away.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2010, 09:35:07 am »

I'm in the pitchblende camp - in fact I bring 20 stones of pitchblende on embark so I can get started on these things right away.
When I go for a major food fort, I use pitchblende.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2010, 10:45:03 am »

Now that I'm thinking about it... Isn't it rather amazing to think of a dwarf making the various piping and flasks from rock with just their hands and beard?

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2010, 02:01:15 pm »

Everyone knows dwarves keep an entire Craftsman 300 piece tool set tied up in the braids of their beards.

I make my stills out of copper and my barrels out of oak. If I draw all the water from a limestone aquifier I'll have authetic Kentucky bourbon. You know you're OCD about making dwarven booze when you lock a warehouse full of sunshine away for three years to age.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2010, 02:12:57 pm »

Rock salt all the way...ensures that my dwarves will always be thirsty for more booze.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2010, 02:17:10 pm »

I'll probably go for copper stills myself, now. As can be guessed by my name, I've got a fondness for copper alloys for an additional excuse. Probably make a set of black bronze stills to go under the obsidian and black bronze grand dining hall. Might as well go for some silver and gold flavoring and brew sunshine in it, if I can get it done in a Good biome.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2010, 02:51:45 pm »

As long as you make it out of a stone that's fairly stable and non-reactive you'll be fine for realism, copper isn't even used anymore in major fermentation processes - plastic and steel are used for health reasons (fun fact they still add tiny amount of a copper compound so the taste remains the same) the egyptians used covered stone pits to ferment their beer.

Fermentation and Distillation are two totally different processes though, and many professional distillers still use giant copper stills for their distillation because of the even heating and high thermal conductivity of the material. Yes, most producers of alcohol use metal for food safety reasons, but even plastic is more of a home-brewer thing because aromas from previous products "stick" to it and alter flavors of following products.

On topic, I may make my stills require one metal block just for "realism". I approve the OP idea!

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2010, 03:10:52 pm »

Does anyone else make their stills out of copper blocks or is it just me?
Cause in RL stills are mostly made out of copper.
I thought it's already argued that copper makes alcohol somewhat poisonous in a long perspective.
Tubes in my hooch-cube are mostly made of brass and the rest are made of shiny stainless or enameled steel.
Finis sanctificat media.
Pages: 1 [2]