Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: importing old forts during worldgen  (Read 807 times)

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
importing old forts during worldgen
« on: February 07, 2008, 03:03:00 am »

hi,

i want to suggest to import the current fort / abbandoned forts during the world generation.
by this, one wuldnt miss out the new features, and as i understod it, the gamegeneration will place a lot of pregenerated towns anyway, so it propably wuld not be a big thing.

greetings

mb

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: importing old forts during worldgen
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 05:17:00 am »

This would be too hard to integrate, I think, given how much changes these days.

EXAMPLE: keep in mind, that people from the last version don't even have families, while folk in this one have complex ancestries.   This is just a fraction of what's been done.  

You have to keep in mind the game is in alpha, and though I hate to say it, you shouldn't become sentimental yet.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 05:37:00 am »

well, its a suggestion to the big one...
he shuld say if it is hard, or noone...
i suggested it, its on him to do it. or not to do it.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 05:54:00 am »

Well of course.   That doesn't mean I can't comment on how I feel about it, thus starting a discussion.

Otherwise you could just PM your ideas to Toady.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 06:16:00 am »

we *can* discuss about the suggestion, in therms of it wuld improve the game expirience or not.
no dubt on this.

we *can not* discuss about how hard to integrate it wuld be, as this can be only estimated by toady .

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 03:42:00 pm »

'probably would not be a big thing' is quite incorrect.  The underlying terrain would be quite different.  The biggest problem is if you came to visit the place in adventurer mode:  The site around the fortress would not match up with any of the surrounding terrain, the cliffs would be mismatched, rivers would come from nowhere and go to nowhere.  It might look alright in reclaim mode, but if you imported the dwarves too, that would be a big headache--your trading partners would be gone, nobles would be from nonexistant places, etc.

The problems would become a much bigger deal in later versions.  Soon, real armies will be moving overland to siege you--so it would be a problem if terrain doesn't match up between the borders of your fort and the rest of the world.

Other major issues:  Your fortress will probably have art in it.  Art refers to people and events that wouldn't exist in the new world.  Again, future versions will make this problem a lot worse as forts are tied more to the history of their own world.  And consider that many of the new features you want will *come* from your fort being tied to the world:  If you yank it out of a past version, you wouldn't get those things anyway!

Of course Toady is the final authority but I'm just saying, don't get your hopes up.  Writing code to make a game backwards compatible is already a major challenge!

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tacroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »

As far as I can tell from watching world gen happen, worlds aren't created all at once and then discarded; the way I interpreted what happens is that regions are generated, and then stitched together. (hence world gen says "<number> regions rejected", not "<number> worlds rejected"). It shouldn't be that difficult to have a directory full of old forts you'd like included in new worlds, with their regions included, that the game uses when appropriate.

And as to "the people now have histories", well, why not wipe out the dwarfs and repopulate the fortress? Or generate complex histories for people, and then replace their names with the names of dwarfs that were in your old fort?

Anyway, personally I don't want world gen to get any more complicated than it is already before we have better world-searching tools. It's hard enough to find magma now, much less a single fort somewhere in the world.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

Nah, worldgen is the whole world at once, it's not stitched.  (The fact that the north is hot and the south is cold, or vice versa, is a hint that you at least only have one hemisphere...hence the word 'region'.)

As for histories, well, very soon all your immigrants will be drawn from the actual existing population in the world, so your idea would be making people from thin air.  I guess that's not entirely unreasonable, it's just that your people wouldn't be nearly as interesting because they wouldn't be tied into the world.  So you wouldn't be getting the new features after all.

Still, by far the biggest problem in my mind is the thing where your fort's borders don't match up with what's around it.  Ever played SimCity 4, and tried to import a not-perfectly-flat city and then tried to make the borders agree with its neighbors?  It's a HUGE, MASSIVE pain and it almost never actually works.  Rivers and chasms that go off the map would make no sense in context.

It'd be fun if it was possible, but...

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

well, it seems we are not clear about the effort to make it. thats ok. its on toady to judge this.

but it seems to me, that i didnt made clear enugh what this feature wuld realy mean.

it wuld give you, to use your old forts after upgrade or whenever you create a new world.

but it wuld also alow you to

~~~~~~~~import  community fortresses into your world~~~~~~~~

think about this... there are people , crating epic fortresses , with towers pircing the sky , grate tresures to find and deadly creatures, but actualy to see them, you will have to use theyr world leaving the adventurer visit them abandoned when you return to your game.
with this option, mapsharing wuld become much more useful.

so -
maby it wuld be to much work to imply - as sayed, only one can judge this. but i realy doubt anyone wuld not love this option after he visited a community fortress the first time.

[ February 08, 2008: Message edited by: motorbitch ]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 09:37:00 pm »

I forsee another problem:

Thread: REally awesome location
Body: I found this awesome location, like, anything and everything you'd ever want!
Seed: nxyznnq

Second post: This seed doesn't seem to be generating the same region at all, like, not even close.

Third post (by OP): Oh, I imported one of my older forts...uh, I don't have the save anymore...