Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: For those of us with low end computers...  (Read 1243 times)

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
Re: For those of us with low end computers...
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 03:32:45 pm »

Fortress layout can have a huge impact on framerate. I've found large, centralized living quarters (resembling hotels, apartments, or even dungeons) extremely inefficient from a CPU perspective. Instead, try to have a bedroom and dining area near a dwarf's work space, and build self contained clusters. Every step a dwarf has to take shaves a little off your FPS, and even a modest fort can become unplayably slow if too many dwarfs need to move too much of the time.

Same goes for animals: cage any animal you're not using for milk or breeding. You only need one cage.

In the big picture, a few more frames per second will add more to your overall experience than temperature and weather. I second turning them off if you find it makes a difference.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 06:34:43 pm »

@FuzzyDoom: in .04, the init setting has changed to [PRINT_MODE:PARTIAL:2]

Tried it, but it had no effect. Oh well, I'm fine with .03.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 11:16:07 am »

One thing not mentioned yet is controlling pathing using traffic designations.  I have read claims that restricting (d-o-r) seldom-used large areas can speed up pathfinding.

My own experiments weren't conclusive, however.  (Not that I spent too much effort looking at the before-and-after.)

I'm pretty sure that the game uses a two-level hybrid path system using precomputed connectivity tests between the 16x16 blocks to filter out dead-ends before needing to resort to the A* algorithm or whatever it uses to find the actual path.  So manually-placed restrictions might not be very useful in practice.

Anyone know better?
Pages: 1 [2]