Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Waterfall doorway  (Read 4518 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfall doorway
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 12:28:47 pm »

or you could build the grates on the doorway level and have the water flow right through them, making it impossiblevery difficult to flood it. And build fortifications around the edges to catch dwarves, water will still pass through.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 12:38:17 pm »

Another design would be a flusher.

Its very simple but can be murderously effective.

Code: [Select]
xxxxxxxxxx
XXXXXXXXXX  pumps
FFFFFFFFFF  fortifications to protect the pumps
..........  walkway, 3 wide for wagons
oooooooooo  pit 'o doooooooooom
oooooooooo

The idea is that you have a large cistern of water supplying the pumps. With a pull of a lever you turn on the pumps and they pump water across the walkway into the pit. My personal favorite is a splatter pit. The water will push things into the pit. Its equally effective against caravans, immigrants, ambushes, and even stealthed creatures if you leave it on all the time.

To maximum the lethality of the trap make the trap be very long, like 20-30 tiles long. This would need 20-30 pumps of course and a huge amount of water, but since you're already playing with water you can use an array of DWR's to power all the pumps.

Just be sure to have a way to drain your pit.

Genkora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 02:52:14 pm »

Hm, well, there already is a very large quantity of carp in the river below (that made building this fun), so a flusher or something certainly would be useful.  Perhaps I can rig up some pressure plates or something.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 03:48:47 pm »

Pressure plates might be bad.

I'm a strong advocate of the bunker method. Seal up several dwarves in a bunker with small farm, a well, and a lever. You now have precise control over things.

You do want some sort of way to recover the remains though. It could be a grate that the water falls through but the remains don't, or you could just put pumps down there to suck the water up, or even crush it with bridges/doors.

After all, one can never have too much goblinite!  ;D

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 11:35:03 pm »

One can indeed have far too much goblinite, due to smelting crashes.

A ridiculously long drop onto a floor grate over a river makes for a great execution device, especially if the floor grate is easily accessible. I never checked to see if the ensuing gob gibs resulted in a red-stained river, though.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 [2]