Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civ screen in fortress mode  (Read 744 times)

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
Civ screen in fortress mode
« on: June 02, 2010, 02:11:23 pm »

In my current fortress my civ screen only lists Dwarves. I know for a fact that there were more civs during world gen.

I know its normal for Civs to have a certain "range" from their settlements that they are listed under a particular area during world gen.

I do still have a few questions im hoping the community can clear up.

Does the fact that only dwarves are showing up in the Civ screen in fortress mode mean i will never EVER encounter humans, elves, kobolds or goblins? Or does it simply mean that only dwarves are adjacent and encountered?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Civ screen in fortress mode
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 02:17:22 pm »

Hi!

The civ screen only lists your own civ, any cavern layer civ, and any of the other races provided they have gotten into contact with you. This means that humans and elves will only be listed when their first caravan arrives. Kobolds usually get listed shortly before the first kobold thief visits you and goblins can be listed a little while before you get the first goblin ambush party.

In addition, I have had one case where not trading with the dwarven caravan stopped the other caravans from coming - I didn't make it in time to deal in the first year, so no human or elven caravan in the second year. The second year, I dealt with the dwarves and in the third year, I got humans and elves as if nothing had happened.

Deathworks

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 02:31:52 pm »

Will you always have Goblins turn up then?

I had a fort that went about 6 years and no sieges.
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 03:00:54 pm »

Hi!

The civ screen only lists your own civ, any cavern layer civ, and any of the other races provided they have gotten into contact with you. This means that humans and elves will only be listed when their first caravan arrives. Kobolds usually get listed shortly before the first kobold thief visits you and goblins can be listed a little while before you get the first goblin ambush party.

In addition, I have had one case where not trading with the dwarven caravan stopped the other caravans from coming - I didn't make it in time to deal in the first year, so no human or elven caravan in the second year. The second year, I dealt with the dwarves and in the third year, I got humans and elves as if nothing had happened.

Deathworks

Hi!

Exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks! Your situation was very similar to mine. My expedition leader promptly had some fun after i embarked and the dwarven diplomat left unhappy. So i'm worried about how it will effect other Civs showing up. However since you seem to have had better luck i'm sure i'll be making friends with elves, humans and goblins eventually.

I figured the Civ screen only populated upon contact but until now i'd not had any confirmation.

Not Deathworks