Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sudden Unexplained Pallor  (Read 1665 times)

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden Unexplained Pallor
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 01:34:28 pm »

He's a "dabbling diagnostician", which I take to mean zero experience. This is weird to me since he's been chief medical dwarf since I embarked, and I could have sworn I put a point into diagnosing at embark. He may just not have diagnosed my mechanic since the mechanic has been very busy (I'm building hundreds of cage traps and linking a couple hundred floodgates and a few dozen bridges to a large collection of levers).

In any case, my mechanic appears to be naked - there is nothing at all in his inventory.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 02:14:07 pm »

He's a "dabbling diagnostician", which I take to mean zero experience. This is weird to me since he's been chief medical dwarf since I embarked, and I could have sworn I put a point into diagnosing at embark. He may just not have diagnosed my mechanic since the mechanic has been very busy (I'm building hundreds of cage traps and linking a couple hundred floodgates and a few dozen bridges to a large collection of levers).

In any case, my mechanic appears to be naked - there is nothing at all in his inventory.
I messed up in a laughable way recently-- I forgot to enable diagnosis for my chief medical dwarf! Make sure you haven't done the same.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 02:37:53 pm »

Stats and skills 'rust' i.e. get worse over time unless you use them. I've stopped putting points into medical skills on embark since it's useless - by the time you need them the dwarf has to learn everything all over anyway. It does not seem to matter though, a dabbler does his job just as well as a legendary, it just takes a little longer.

As for the problem, which version are you running? maybe it's a version of the deadly rain bug at work?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 04:44:00 pm »

I'm running 31.03, but my dwarves very rarely go outside. I've never hit the deadly rain bug yet, and for the last couple of years my dwarves have been dealing solely with this giant underground cavern which has no above ground squares (it's at about level -40 and there are no direct channels).

My chief medical dwarf has all healthcare labors enabled, but the skill degradation thing makes sense. There hasn't been much death or illness in my fort, except for one miner who got injured in a cave-in and has been resting in the hospital for the last decade getting periodic surgery on his foot.
Pages: 1 [2]