Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Channels in the new version  (Read 693 times)

Roara Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Channels in the new version
« on: April 30, 2007, 02:50:00 pm »

I couldn't help but notice that water in the new version, according to the movies, apparently will no longer be a simple "empty or filled" concept. I also couldn't help but notice that channels are supposed to be removed, or something.

So, I have an alternate suggestion to how channels could work rather then outright remove the poor things.   :(

Well, since water is, I assume, going to have levels of volume (according to what I've seen, the levels will be 1-7, where up to 2 or 3 (not sure) is low enough for dwarves to safely walk past it.)

Why not have channels count as though it were a few feet below normal ground, but now low enough to count as being lower on the z axis.

That is to say... if water is in a channel at level 2, perhaps it will treat it as though it were only level 0 water for flow control, requiring the channel to have 3 "units" of water before it starts spilling out of the channel. Or something. Or maybe it could even be variable to the user's wishes, up to a limit of 2 or 3 units of pseudodepth.

What's the purpose of this, you ask? To allow for low level water redirection. Nothing major; perhaps just enough for every dwarf to have a little sink in their bedroom, or to store water in the kitchen, or somewhat direct or divert floodwater without using walls.

To anyone who reads this or replies to this, thank you very much. ^-^

[Edit] er, I meant dining room, not kitchen. ^_^; Store water in the dining room! Although maybe there'll eventually be some use for water in the kitchen (steamed mule meat anyone?~)

[ April 30, 2007: Message edited by: Roara Wolf ]

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Channels in the new version
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 03:14:00 pm »

Channels exist, just not as a "building" as they currently are now.  Instead, channels are... channels.  Being a level lower on the z-axis.  Archimedian screws and pumps and such will be used to raise water out of channels when needed.

It seems to me that anything more would be more complicated for no reason.  Flows and channels now make little sense in how they work.  The new version makes them make sense.  I like that.

Roara Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 06:22:00 pm »

Mm, one of the reasons why I suggested the above is that I don't know exactly how tall a z level is supposed to be.

Of course, I imagine it's supposed to be kind of vague, considering that, as far as I know, a dragon will still be 1x1x1 for quite a while, despite the fact that they're supposed to be mega-huge, or something. They ARE supposed to be mega-huge right? Oh well....

Anyway, another assumption I made while I wrote that post was that a z level is tall enough to support a slight incline (or would the proper word be decline?) in the ground.

Despite knowing how channels as they are now could be redone, I still make this suggestion. This is less of a "oh crap, channels are gone?!?! how will water flow now!?!?" post and more of a "hey wait, isn't there another way channels could work in the new version?" post.

Consider the channels I suggest as entirely different things, if you want. I just can't think of another name for them. ^_^;;

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 07:18:00 pm »

Gutters?

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 08:02:00 pm »

I could be wrong, but the way it appears in the videos I've seen is that there is room on 1 z level for a floor and 7 units of water.  Designating a channel removes the "floor"

If anyone knows better (I've been away for a week and will still be out for a few more) chime in.

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

Roara Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 08:22:00 pm »

... Gutters! Yeah! That word works!

Needs more gutters!

Thanks. XD

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 11:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Roara Wolf:
<STRONG>I couldn't help but notice that water in the new version, according to the movies,</STRONG>

Movies?

TakiJap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 02:33:00 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_next.html

Bottom of the page are links to pictures and movies of the next version. All given to us by our friendly developer Toady.

Originally posted to this thread: http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000001

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 11:06:00 pm »

Ah ha.  I don't think I ever scrolled that far.