Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I HATE the military. Just thought I'd say.  (Read 2045 times)

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I HATE the military. Just thought I'd say.
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 12:09:00 pm »

Yeah, I really hate the new military system. Its got potential, the stuff about uniforms and schedules and all is great but its such a cumbersome pile of crap that its nigh impossible to use it.

Why does Toady have to make everything so counter-intuitive and awkward to use?

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 12:13:44 pm »

My game crashes when I try to form a squad. 'nuff said methinks.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 12:26:18 pm »

In regards to foreign weapons, I have had no problem equipping whips, scourges, morning stars, scimitars or longswords, but no one will grab a pike.  In a previous fortress in .03, I had a squad of pikesdwarfs and they did very well, so I have no idea what the problem is. 

My major beef with the military menu is that if you have 7 steel whatevers of the same quality, and you have a zillion weapons and you want to assign the steel to individual dwarfs, theres no real way to keep track of who has what.  Even if it is assigned you can still pick it again to assign to someone else, and after trying to outfit an entire squad with specific items, I frequently end up assigning the same item to more than one dwarf.

At least I was able to easily pick out my artifact adamatine turban, and wear that along with an adamantine cap and helmet!
igless

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 12:36:51 am »

My game crashes when I try to form a squad. 'nuff said methinks.
OH EM GEE!

THE BUGGY RELEASE IS BUGGY!
--
This just speaks to the release stability then to the new military system itself.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 08:43:40 am »

In regards to foreign weapons, I have had no problem equipping whips, scourges, morning stars, scimitars or longswords, but no one will grab a pike.  In a previous fortress in .03, I had a squad of pikesdwarfs and they did very well, so I have no idea what the problem is. 

My major beef with the military menu is that if you have 7 steel whatevers of the same quality, and you have a zillion weapons and you want to assign the steel to individual dwarfs, theres no real way to keep track of who has what.  Even if it is assigned you can still pick it again to assign to someone else, and after trying to outfit an entire squad with specific items, I frequently end up assigning the same item to more than one dwarf.

At least I was able to easily pick out my artifact adamatine turban, and wear that along with an adamantine cap and helmet!

You can just do it one dwarf at a time.  Once they pick it up, do the next dwarf.  If you want them to use a specific weapon (like a masterwork Steel Battle Axe in a group of Steel BAxes), just forbid the other ones.  Slow, yes, but it should work.

Also, in my last fortress, I had a very easy way to train my military.  I got lucky and breached a cavern with (apparently) no forgotten beast, so I walled off a big section of it.  New recruits were stationed near the (very) large population of Troglodytes and some kind of man-creature (forget what it was, we killed them so fast).  They killed a bunch of them, gained skills, and then were sent back up for regular duty.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 08:49:28 am by GuudeSpelur »
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 09:55:41 am »

Ok, all you people who are saying it's just fine, I have a thought experiment.

Situation: starting 7 dwarfs, first spring, nothing done with military at all.  A deer wanders into the main hall and keeps getting scared into rooms (and scaring the dwarfs).

Step by step please, what is the exact sequence of keystrokes required to put dwarves into the military and get them to kill the deer?

In 40d, it is: v - A.  Optional followup: m - v - a.

That's a maximum of 5 keystrokes, likely just 2 (not counting any arrow key movement).  Trivial effort to deal with a trivial problem.

What is the sequence of keystrokes required with this new system? 

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 10:12:06 am »

Something along the lines of...

m - c - *arrow keys* - enter - *arrow keys* - enter

Then s - a - m/k

That's if you don't mind your military to walk around in default uniforms, or you have already assigned a uniform.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 10:16:23 am »

Ok, you have a hoary marmot endlessly interrupting your dwarves. You want just one guy to go over there and strangle it to death.

So you pick the guy, go to the nobles menu and assign him as milita commander. Then you create a squad, assign his stuff and then exit out, go to the squad menu and issue him a kill order.

Right? Or did a miss a step?

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 10:22:38 am »

Ok, you have a hoary marmot endlessly interrupting your dwarves. You want just one guy to go over there and strangle it to death.

So you pick the guy, go to the nobles menu and assign him as milita commander. Then you create a squad, assign his stuff and then exit out, go to the squad menu and issue him a kill order.

Right? Or did a miss a step?

Can skip going to the nobles screen: Whoever you appoint as your first squad commander is automatically appointed.

And the "assign his stuff" is a bit iffy. Standard uniforms are generally bad, however if you just want to take out a hoary marmot they will do as long as your dwarf picks up any feasible weapon. Uniforms in general can be very bad, since you don't want to be switching between them too much (they cause a lot of quad-wielding issues), however if you simply stick to them, they should work.

So the steps are: Military screen, create squad, choose uniform, choose dorf. Squad menu, choose squad, move or kill order.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 10:24:26 am »

Uniforms seem to work well as long as you start with one and stick with it.

Just create a uniform that has the dwarf wearing steel armor, steel shield, and steel axe. Use that uniform when you create the squad. Done!

The dwarves will then go pick up steel armor and weapons. There's also really no point in changing it, since a steel axe is almost the best weapon type in the game at the moment. Only thing better are adamantine blades.
Pages: 1 [2]