Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Entity Material Preferences  (Read 526 times)

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
Entity Material Preferences
« on: February 06, 2008, 04:19:00 pm »

I would really like to see a token in the entities that allows specific materials to be selected and given a frequency for their appearance as trade goods or their appearance in general. For example, using Teldin's mod the additional metal Mithril is entirely too common given its value and rarity. It would be nice if there was  [METAL:<metal>:<rarity>] token to allow specific metals to appear. I understand the [METAL_PREF] token is what allows dwarves to produce steel and other high quality metals but it would be nice if there was more control over the frequency at which those materials appear. The same could go for cloth, wood, plants and animals and so on.

It would also open a whole new door for sub-race civilizations and societal taboos. For example, you could make a culture that forbids the consumption of rhinoceros meat. Therefore that civilization, while being able to sell meat with the [ANIMAL_PRODUCTS] token could have [MEAT:RHINOCEROS:NONE] This is a stretch but the real purpose is to allow the production of stronger-than-steel rare metals without the use of the [DEEP] tag and having that metal be forever connected to "hidden fun stuff."

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Entity Material Preferences
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 05:34:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:57:58 pm by penguinofhonor »

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

Yeah, but that would make the metal a rarity for everyone. It makes more sense to keep your trade options based on the civilization and not based on the material. Maybe one culture simply doesn't value gold at all but still has a metal preference? Does this mean gold should be rare for everyone? Obviously not.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »

Well, that sounds like Dwarf Fortress to me, especialy societal taboos... As in: The hero had finely slain the demon of the goblins terrorizing the town. On his way back, he was accosted by wolves, and soon put down the pack and brought the pelts to the town to sell to the greatfull shopkeepers. Little did he know that the wolves where the sacred animal guardians of the town, and the horrified pesants drove him out of town when they discovered the pelts!

Sooooo DF!!!!

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »

Different civs already have different preferred materials, at least in a very basic way.