Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2D Embark  (Read 915 times)

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
2D Embark
« on: May 27, 2010, 01:42:32 pm »

Lately I've had a really good time engineering 2D nostalgia in my forts.  I pick a region that's mountainous enough and has a brook running N/S in a field, and then shape my embark to be 2 vertical and 6-8 horizontal.  When my dwarves arrive, I dig to the right.  After a while I will end up going down to get to stuff I want, but the bulk of my fort will be on that first z-level.

Anybody else do something like this?

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: 2D Embark
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 02:02:09 pm »

I had a good map in 31.03 with a volcano so steep that the bottom few levels were basically sheer. I went pretty horizontal with that fort.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 02:54:01 pm »

I had a fort with a good 3d mock up of a 2d fort layout. Minus magma and HFS, everything was acctually on the same z-level. it was 40d though.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 04:20:02 pm »

I do this as well. All of my fortress will be on the same Z level if at all possible. Storage is commonly on a different Z level, usually above or below the workshops, but all of the workshops, meeting halls, bedrooms, dining rooms, and as much as possible will be on the same Z level.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 04:37:41 pm »

Exact opposite, everything ends up in a cube.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 06:08:58 pm »

I still lay out the bulk of my fortresses on a single layer just to keep  the frame rate high, but looking back some of my favorite fortresses have been spread extensively across Z levels. My favorite I built was perfectly layered down into a mountain and then carved out to become a "natural" stone tower. http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5354-weaverwalls

So I'm starting to wonder if I'm really messing up my fun by having a 2D fort with perfect FPS.

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 06:56:26 pm »

I still lay out the bulk of my fortresses on a single layer just to keep  the frame rate high, but looking back some of my favorite fortresses have been spread extensively across Z levels. My favorite I built was perfectly layered down into a mountain and then carved out to become a "natural" stone tower. http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5354-weaverwalls

So I'm starting to wonder if I'm really messing up my fun by having a 2D fort with perfect FPS.

That is a beautiful fortress.  As an OCD five-timer myself, I particularly admire all the perfect 5x5 rooms.