Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: World Community Grid  (Read 4495 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: World Community Grid
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 01:49:16 pm »

This has been around for years. If it was a scam, it would have been made apparent by now.

It was originally linked to me by a med student, if it's anything consolation.
I don't trust a med student to know about medicine, much less computers, until he graduates. Once he does, and is no longer a med student, I still don't trust him to know even one thing about computers. I also don't know how trustworthy he is as a person. I might have some inkling about how trustworthy Grakelin might be, but another person-step beyond that is absolutely zero.

Sorry man.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 03:09:04 pm »

Well, presumably, he would know about the medical research aspect of this project, and not the computer side.

But seriously, it's safe.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

DocDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 09:35:29 am »

Uh, well that crazy leftist radical side of me makes me thing this is a plot to gather marketing information, browsing habits and whatnot from people's computers and as a sort of tax on people's bandwidth. I'm sure corporations could make money to fund their research by selling the results of their marketing research.

Computing power isn't expensive, you know. Also, I'm not sure why they'd need an inordinate amount to do research on something other then physics or mathematic-intensive feilds.

Also not convinced it won't be used by law enforcement to keep an eye on people's internet usage.
Computing Power on gthe scale needed for Proteinfolding is expensive, since there is just that much data to crunch. There are a lot of fields that use distributed computing: SETI, CERN, Primenumerfinding, Proteinfolding - the list goes on.

The Boinc CLient is really no different from, say, Quake or something: You activate it, it connects to a server, gets some data, does some calculations, sends it back, rinse and repeat.

Except that instead of shooting virtual things and getting data about maps and modifications the server might require, you get some raw data about the makeup of proteins, and your computer folds them virtually and checks if they have certain qualities that come from their three-dimensional shape.

Then, instead of sending back to the server where you move and what you shoot at, it sends back what it calculated about the protein in question.

Same basic principle, same risk.

This has been around for years. If it was a scam, it would have been made apparent by now.

It was originally linked to me by a med student, if it's anything consolation.
I don't trust a med student to know about medicine, much less computers, until he graduates. Once he does, and is no longer a med student, I still don't trust him to know even one thing about computers. I also don't know how trustworthy he is as a person. I might have some inkling about how trustworthy Grakelin might be, but another person-step beyond that is absolutely zero.

Sorry man.
Maybe you trust IBM with Comuters then?

Look, this thing comes from berkeley, a university. A non-profit-organisation, one of those that brought us peer-topeer networks, the internet itself and mp3.

Plus, its open source. So if you dont want to download any old .exe from anywhere, download the source, compile it with whatever compiler you want and - presto! - guaranteed Spyware free Program.

Sony put it in the PS3's preinstalled, so all those plugged in Cpus (and Graphic chips) could be put to some good use.

Man, seriously, do you need Barrack Obama to come to your house and tell you its safe? Or is IBM, a world renowned University and Sony enough?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 11:47:30 am »

To prove that the program is safe:

I'd want Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and the heads of the CIA, NSA, FBI, Secret Service, FEMA, and Homeland Security, and the Air Force, Marine Corp, Navy, Coast Guard, and Army, and the CEOs and technical staff of the credit bureaus and game consoles, and the CEOs of the top 20 data harvesting companies, and every last person who had a hand in coding the thing and planning the project, and the CEO of Nestle, all hooked up to brain-scanning machines that are calibrated to each of them. And question them on exactly what the program does and is intended to do.

And I'd want R. Kelly to pee on it.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 11:52:46 am »

You aren't going to get that. Either download the program and be happy or don't and go on with your day. You may be joking but it sounds confrontative and we don't want no trouble now.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 12:07:00 pm »

You aren't going to get that. Either download the program and be happy or don't and go on with your day. You may be joking but it sounds confrontative and we don't want no trouble now.
Is ... is there any way any competent English-speaker could mistake what I wrote as anything but a joke?

???

I am +1 confused!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 06:27:33 pm »

I'm sure corporations could make money to fund their research by selling the results of their marketing research.
Maybe you trust IBM with Comuters then?

Look, this thing comes from berkeley, a university. A non-profit-organisation, one of those that brought us peer-topeer networks, the internet itself and mp3.

Plus, its open source. So if you dont want to download any old .exe from anywhere, download the source, compile it with whatever compiler you want and - presto! - guaranteed Spyware free Program.

Sony put it in the PS3's preinstalled, so all those plugged in Cpus (and Graphic chips) could be put to some good use.

Man, seriously, do you need Barrack Obama to come to your house and tell you its safe? Or is IBM, a world renowned University and Sony enough?

Berkely may be non-profit, but the other two are companies. It sounds like Berkely came up with the idea, implemented it in a limeted fashion, and then decided to trust some corporations who could theoretically make money with it, not to do so, in order to implement it on a larger, more secure scale. I wouldn't put it past Sony or IBM to use a little bit of computing power now and then for their own purpose, or to sell it to business. However, I'm just going to leave this thread and never come back. Sorry guys. Have fun taking your risks, I can't afford a new computer if something does go wrong while possibly being duped to increase spam on the internet so sneaky companies can make money.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 03:07:20 am »

This is why we haven't cured Cancer and AIDS.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 03:10:04 am »

I think they should just hold a bake sale or mooch money from the government or something so they can buy some computers if they need them.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 03:10:52 am »

Or they could just get us to do it with our idle PC time.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 03:15:32 pm »

laziness wins?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 [2]