Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding the loops in a solenoid  (Read 690 times)

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding the loops in a solenoid
« on: May 28, 2010, 09:11:46 am »

I'm an AP Physics student here at my high school.
Currently I'm replicating the charge to mass ratio of an electron experiment as my final project (which was really just a bunch of hype, this was done nicely for me in a lab that my teacher gave me, I think we're just eating up as much time as we can until graduation).

Anyway, my teacher gave me three solenoids, one with a known number of loops and two without. He told me that it should be easy to figure out how many times they have been wrapped but I can't figure it out (I feel really stupid right now). I know that I can't just count it because we don't know how many times around the solenoid was wrapped either....

Because this isn't an actual part of my assignment, I came here to ask for some help...So yeah, anything would be appreciated, and thanks a lot!
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the loops in a solenoid
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 09:48:07 am »

try to use the solenoids to make a transformer.

By finding the ratio of input voltate to output voltage, you should find the ratio of coils on the first to the second (orthe other way round)

Be sure to use alternating current.

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 11:26:42 am »

Sweet that will work! Thanks a lot.
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 12:01:05 pm »

Or if you really want to waste time before graduation, build a huge and elaborate looking circuit which ends up doing the same thing.