Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miners wont mine  (Read 474 times)

ChopperDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Miners wont mine
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:57:13 pm »

I am having the same problem that several others have been lately. Only a few miners will actually mine.

It's not:
A pathing issue. Some miners are mining, coming and going. This has been happening from embark.
A pick issue. Plenty of picks all bought at embark. No blacksmithing yet so I can't make new picks.
A labor issue. Lots of new immigrants and old workers just sitting around doing nothing.
A arsenal dwarf issue. Only 18 dwarfs in the fort.
A military issue. No military.

No picks are forbidden and I have only gotten one new person mining since the start; one of the original seven. Tried to save/restart and toggle mining on and off. Is this a bug? Didn't see it on the tracker.
Give an elf a fire and he will be warm for a day. Toss him 20z levels into the magma sea and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

detinith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Miners wont mine
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 09:00:30 pm »

are they happy and drunk? labor could be hard to come by if they haven't had adequate dwarf nutrition

ChopperDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 09:18:19 pm »

They were content/happy. The current miners are only content. I have plenty of booze and food. An entire 12x10 room stocked with food barrels and they don't say thirsty/hungry in their thoughts. Oh and mining is the only job they have enabled. Left if that way for a few minutes and they all just said no job.
Give an elf a fire and he will be warm for a day. Toss him 20z levels into the magma sea and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 09:32:10 pm »

Miners only mine if they have something to mine. So if you mine a 2 tile wide corridor, only two or three miners can mine at a time, and they will take turns doing so, meaning after a person is done mining like two tiles, due to pathing, he'll stop mining while another dwarf instantaneously claims the next mining job.

ChopperDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 09:40:27 pm »

Tried that too. Set an entire 20 tile wall to be dug. No dice. I don't know if it's because they don't consider themselves miners or they just can't pick up the picks for some reason. Plenty of picks and they are set to mine in  labor so I don't know.

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 09:55:59 pm »

If you're using dwarf therapist, setting labors which require items doesn't work properly with it; you'll need to set them as miners in-game.

If not ... I have no idea.

... and, though you say it's not a military issue, were any of them recruited into the military at any time? Even if it doesn't exist now, and you don't have any of them in the military now ... I'm just clutching at straws, here. I have observed, though, that it can take a bit of time for dwarfs to realize that they have new labors enabled; probably not more than a minute, though I haven't measured, so that's probably not it either.

ChopperDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 10:11:39 pm »

That was it! Thanks!! =\ Weird. Guess it therapist just needs fix then. Not too inconvenient.