Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Age?

Early
Middle
Late

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Dominions 3 PBEM Part Trois - It's on  (Read 19505 times)

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3 PBEM Part Trois - It's on
« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2010, 09:48:00 am »

Keboseidon heard the chants of his name get fainter and fainter.  The strings that connected him to the mortal realm were growing thin.  Soon, it was silent.  No one believed in Keboseidon anymore.  With that, he vanished into the void, forever.

Looks like I got dominion killed.  I'm still not sure how dominion works, a temple and three priests preaching wasn't enough to even keep one province alive?  Not that it matters, Il Palazzo clearly solved the hydra problem and had me beat.  I was hoping I'd take out more than that.  I'm just glad I was able to survive this long and I had fun.  Next time I'd like to play a larger map though, so it's a little later in the game before I'm attacked.   

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2010, 04:44:02 pm »

Looks like I got dominion killed.  I'm still not sure how dominion works, a temple and three priests preaching wasn't enough to even keep one province alive?
Each temple has a chance of creating a candle each turn, dependent on your pretender's dominion strenght(dom x 10 = percentile chance; you can check these by clicking on your temple icon on the side of the screen). A living pretender creates one candle at 100%, plus two temple-like chances. Your prophet creates one temple-like chance.
Additionally, every five temples built increase your pretender's dominion strenght by one, meaning a 10% increase in the probability of candle creation for all your existing temples etc.
A candle can either settle in the province it was created in, or travel to neighbouring provinces.
I'm not sure how preaching works - if it creates a candle at 100% or just as if you had an additional temple?
Anway, all you had there, dominion spreading-wise, was one temple at probably around 50%, plus four priests creating max four candles, but maybe less. All together you could get 5 candles with some luck.
Now, each of your neighbours "invaded" your provinces with their dominion. Myself, having 15 temples, a prophet and my pretender, with temples spreading currently at 90% had around 20 near-certain candles created each turn. Even if half of them went to combat Jomon's dominion, you can see how what you've had there was not enough.
And that's not even taking into account Arco's dominion spread.

Anyway, thanks for playing and sticking with us till the end.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 26, 2010, 11:53:31 pm »

So Dominion works as a whole, rather than just the area it's in?  I figured where you built a temple was important, is that untrue?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 27, 2010, 05:53:50 am »

A temple is more likely to spread dominion in it's own and neighbouring provinces, so the placement is important if you want to direct it's spread. Temples with fully spread dominion(i.e. as many candles as your god's current dom. strenght) will create candles that are going to travel to randomly chosen neighbouring provinces, and will settle in one with less-than maximum dominion. As I've got my backyard provinces fully converted now, all my temples push the dominion outward anyway.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 31, 2010, 04:49:53 am »

Dr. Necro looked around.  "Red to the left of me, Red to the right, Commies killed Jomon, Commies gotta fight!"

Yup, I'm scared.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 31, 2010, 02:39:39 pm »

Don't be scared. We are here to cure your society of the evils of democracy. With heavy metal.

R.I.P.Jomon. Thanks for playing Lorak, if only you've invested more in lightiening resistance spells...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 31, 2010, 06:41:15 pm »

By the way, what did you think of my underwater elephant hero?  Definitely represents my Right-Thinking society!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 31, 2010, 07:19:42 pm »

It was a harrowing experience for my fishy friends. They want revenge, and I feel obliged to deliver.

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 03, 2010, 03:34:29 pm »

I've been away for the last few days since I died.  :-(

But yeah it was a really fun, if chaotic, game!  Still got a ton to learn.  I still don't even know where lightning resist spells are in the spell tree.  XD

The short and illustrious history of Jomon shall forever be engrained in the memories of it's former people.

Fun Facts:

- Jomon bordered every other nation in the game.
- Jomon was the first aggressor in all wars it was involved in.
- Jomon fought at least one battle against every nation except Pythium.
- Jomon's misfortune 3 resulted in the loss of 10 provinces to barbarians throughout it's lifetime, several of which were never regained.

I had more, but I can't think of them now.  XD  Oh well.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 03, 2010, 04:28:20 pm »

If you want to learn more about this game's guts, check out the wiki:
http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Main_Page
There's a lot of comprehensive guides to nation, spells and items, combat mechanics, and a lot more.

The most important bit of advice, if you care, is this: You've had a really good research score, so if you've only taken advantage of this fact by mixing some mages with your otherwise excellent armies, the game would've looked quite differently. Even if you don't know what to script them with, they can still do a decent job at casting appropriate spells.

The basic, caster-only resistance buffs are in alteration 1. The ones you can cast on your troops are in enchantment 4, iirc. They're called "thunder ward", "fire fend" etc. The stronger versions are somewhere in ench 7 or 8, called "storm warriors", "warriors of niefelheim" etc. Poison resistance spells(poison ward, serpent's blessing) are one level lower than the rest.

I've just met The Bird for the firs time. What a pitiful, tattered creature.
Also, the underwater elephant menace has been caught in fish nets and fed to a sea serpent.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 03, 2010, 08:35:50 pm »

I've just met The Bird for the firs time. What a pitiful, tattered creature.
Also, the underwater elephant menace has been caught in fish nets and fed to a sea serpent.

If my Bird is so pitiful, why is he sitting in your former province?

Yeah, shame about the underwater elephant.  We'll see what else I can do.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 06, 2010, 04:04:00 am »

Hm, seems the turn autoresolved without me.

This shows my lack of interest in fighting a war that I will not win.  I surrender.  Il Palazzo, I'll get you back in EFS!  No ministries for you!

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 06, 2010, 06:20:03 am »

:O  Meta-gaming!!  For shame!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 06, 2010, 11:11:59 am »

I win! Lalala, I'm so happy. Oh joy.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 07, 2010, 11:01:27 am »

Here's the new game's thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63361.0
No, I haven't got enough.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]