Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: science lab  (Read 1145 times)

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
science lab
« on: May 23, 2010, 09:20:52 am »

I'm setting up a science lab at the bottom of my really really big/deep ossuary and I'm wondering something. In the event of a water spill will the dwarves clean it up once it gets to a depth of 1/7?
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: science lab
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 09:48:30 am »

Nope. At a depth of 1/7, it will evaporate, eventually, and they should clean the mud up if the floor is smoothed. If you're expecting spills of 2/7 or above across the entire floor (it only takes one tile of 1/7 for the evaporation process to occur, but if the entire floor is 2/7 it won't evaporate), you should probably set up drainage or something else to prevent it from hanging around and drowning everyone down there [a single grate opening into a water source (which will absorb water as well as generating it, preventing the level from being entirely filled) would probably do it, or you could set up some big run-off rooms fed by screw pumps, and use them as tree-farms/normal farms whenever they're not flooded].

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 09:51:11 am »

Ok, so it'll evaporate then. Good to know. There's no chance its going to get to 2/7 for long, the room is like...50x75 and I'm only building a 3x3 pond to act as the source for the pumps. It's indoors though and I'm playing 40d, is that going to screw me?

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 11:03:11 am »

Just thought of something related to my first post so it didn't make sense to create a new thread. if you have enough pumps and enough water can you just build the pumps around the bottom of a shaft and force the water up instead of having to put pumps on every level?

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 11:06:55 am »

No... pressurization only works in getting water up to the highest level that pressure is applied. So, in a u-bend pit, water will rise to the same level on both sides, but won't go higher than that.

Otherwise, we would have all sorts of fountain designs.

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 02:49:01 pm »

Water is quite volatile. If enough pressure is in water, it can easily do a map flood. Basically you make most of the map have water pressure on it, like flooding it with a river, then once thats done, you can put a hole to the river on the lowest floor, and watch the science of the water pressure fill all levels up to the unbreached level of your fort that has all the water in (7/7 every square outside that part, and yes, no breach where it floods the lower floors, just floods around it)

I like editing the test arena to watch it flood with major water pressure. It's been fun to watch everytime i see it.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 03:55:57 pm »

My turn for a question:  what are you putting in your 'science lab'?

I'm sure it's just aesthetics (unless you are running a mod?) but I'm just curious.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 06:09:19 pm »

I'm using it as a testing area for screw pumps and other such things thats away from my living areas, inside and in the middle of my tombs so if something bad happens there's coffins handy