Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Military dwarves not wrestling?  (Read 2938 times)

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military dwarves not wrestling?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 03:10:39 pm »

Also, editing the game to give you Iron from the start?

Steel, not iron.  There's a huge difference in .31 compared to the way it was in 40d, and the wiki doesn't do a very good job of explaining it.  data\init\world_gen.txt has all the settings for each set of worldgen parameters, and one of them is EMBARK_POINTS.  By default this is around 1600 points to cover the basic equipment, but if you change this to say 8000 and then generate a new world, you can bring along a bunch of steel bars and maybe some extra food to help with the first year or so.  The embark menu will let you bring along all sorts of things but the default settings dont give you enough cash to really make use of it.

It's also possible to disable sieges by editing data\init\init.txt and changing INVADERS:YES to INVADERS:NO.  This does not require a regen and can be changed at will (but it will not prevent a siege that's already been "queued up" to happen later in the season...I have tested this).

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 05:00:00 pm »

Personally, I just embark with 1 furnace, 1 furnace/woodburner, 1 miner, and 1 miner/armorer/weaponsmith.  The overabundance of coal and iron or makes it pretty easy to get a full steel warrior or two before the first year is up.

And yeah I put the training bit on the military faq now :P

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 06:41:04 pm »

Hrm, my big problem is finding coal and Iron. Guess I need to do exploratory digs more.

TheDarkEnigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 06:14:01 am »

Ok, I am going to update the wiki RIGHT NOW. There will be fixes, and it will be good, and there will be no more lies about how the military works!

Darkseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 06:18:33 am »

Coal and Iron are hard to find?
In the new version I am practically swimming in the stuff between that and gold I usually consider dumping it along with all the stone to keep my rooms tidy >.>.
Seriously though valuable ore and coal are much more common in the new version.

Also you can tweak your embark points in worldgen so you have enough to actually bring a lot more items with you till you can set up production yourself

And yes the military screen is confusing best way to figure out how the hell it works is to mess with it for awhile....and hope your military doesn't decide to go all buggy and constantly change from military to civilian, or get stuck on the pickup/drop off equipment job because the have 15 boots and 5 weapons(I think they were trying to haul it all in their hand before they realized they had a lot of items and only 2 hands)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 12:10:50 pm »

For them to equip stuff you need to assign an arsenal dwarf in the 'n'obles menu.  Make sure the arsenal dwarf is sitting on his arse all day and not actually doing work (maybe you can share this position with the manager): the arsenal dwarf has to actually take an action before your soldiers will put on the shiny piece of armor that's at their feet.
Pages: 1 [2]