Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dealing with Glaciers?  (Read 2208 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with Glaciers?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 04:15:04 pm »

The lake should be safe to drink, but even if its not thats not a problem. Just use a pump to purify the water.

Can you confirm this works in 31.xx.xx? I've had no luck with purifying saltwater. Which is sad because i like sea side forts.

The pumped water cannot touch a natural surface. You need to make the cistern entirely out of something like rock blocks. Including the floor and walls.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 04:36:00 pm »

The lake should be safe to drink, but even if its not thats not a problem. Just use a pump to purify the water.

Can you confirm this works in 31.xx.xx? I've had no luck with purifying saltwater. Which is sad because i like sea side forts.

The pumped water cannot touch a natural surface. You need to make the cistern entirely out of something like rock blocks. Including the floor and walls.

Do the tiles under the pump have to be artificial materials as well? My cistern was completely isolated and the dwarves still didn't use it as a water source.

Will mud/blood cause problems even if the salt status is removed?

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 11:03:28 am »

Anyone have some experience with this in 31?

ReverseWill

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs cigarettes to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 11:23:02 am »

I would be forced to name all of my dwarves after characters in "The Thing". You know, Expedition Leader Garry, Militia Commander MacReady, Chief Med. Dwarf Blair, etc.

Of course, there's no monster that can imitate a dwarf... yet.
Just because that tamed alligator killed someone earlier doesn't mean it wouldn't make a great pet now.

SheepishOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 01:48:04 pm »

You need to put in floor and walls. Make sure the walls are next to the output, as water can seep diagonally. If there's a natural wall blocking the space, then that's where the contamination is occurring. Not to scale example:

x+++*

It seemed to work for me in .03, however I haven't tried it in .04 yet. Though I did notice that dwarves needing the water (for medical purposes) BEFORE the cistern/well was completed would not accept the water AFTER. They all dehydrated/died--this was in a seaside fort as well with no fresh water surface. The ones that needed it AFTER were perfectly fine with the water for cleaning/drinking purposes. Something I didn't do, as it was my first foray with medical dwarves and I didn't know, would be bed deconstruction (or harmless trap wounding) to hopefully reset their status and get water accepted.
You're flocked if you do and flocked if ya don't.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 03:15:40 pm »

You need to put in floor and walls. Make sure the walls are next to the output, as water can seep diagonally. If there's a natural wall blocking the space, then that's where the contamination is occurring. Not to scale example:

x+++*

It seemed to work for me in .03, however I haven't tried it in .04 yet. Though I did notice that dwarves needing the water (for medical purposes) BEFORE the cistern/well was completed would not accept the water AFTER. They all dehydrated/died--this was in a seaside fort as well with no fresh water surface. The ones that needed it AFTER were perfectly fine with the water for cleaning/drinking purposes. Something I didn't do, as it was my first foray with medical dwarves and I didn't know, would be bed deconstruction (or harmless trap wounding) to hopefully reset their status and get water accepted.

I was't working for me in .03. It probably was just my method but i was careful to seal the cistern entirely except for a well port. Is there anything else that could cause a problem?

Egregius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 07:12:51 am »

Did a glacier outpost once in v.28

It became a military slash trading outpost because I didn't have much for them to do. I was hoping for wildlife to live off, but apparently none were available at my spot. So I traded for food and booze, trading goods I made from bought raw materials. My excess dwarves I put into training, or engraving my ice fort. Thing is...in v.28 the amount of stuffs being brought in caravans is highly limited, and I think at the end of the second or third winter my booze supply ran out. With no water and a few champions, I had a massive tantrum spiral, and a few survived long enough for a caravan to bring new drinks.

Next came new migrants attracted by my engravings, and...eventually the same lack of booze hit the populace. Lots of fun to play. :)
Eventually my main trade good became clothes from dead migrants.

Things should be easier with v.31 caravans. In fact, I'm gonna start one up right now.
Every time I see the letter c I think of cats, then genocide, then delicious stew.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 03:00:00 pm »

The cavern layers are only a slight gamble. If you find a tribe that your dwarves will want to run through I'd recommend choosing another layer and for flying doom reasons you should stick a floor over the hole in the ceiling you make and go in from the side. If you go straight a few tiles and then diagonal you can ensure it's easy to wall off without the suspend trick. After you find your water and decide on walls you just need to go kill trolls and a small number of other things that can show up when you first see the interrupt messages; with an axe very few regular cave inhabitants are an issue, you just need those walls up before you get a forgotten beast but that is also a gamble that you might just get lucky with.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 04:24:13 pm »

Heh.  How do I deal with glaciers? The awesome way
Pages: 1 [2]