Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doh I need that jeweler, or; rock bars!  (Read 894 times)

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Doh I need that jeweler, or; rock bars!
« on: May 20, 2010, 03:39:20 pm »

As per the title.  Jeweler mooding out wanting rock bars  >:(

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Doh I need that jeweler, or; rock bars!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 03:57:29 pm »

if you look at the stockpile menu for BARS, all the rock types are in the metal bars section. Could this perhaps be related?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 04:42:17 pm »

He wants metal bars.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 04:43:14 pm »

He's going to make a ring made out of gems, and decorated with bits of metal. :P :D
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 07:48:48 pm »

Its actually a known bug, just complaining out loud.  He's got all the rocks and metal bars a dwarf can dream of, just rock bars are impossible.

For the record, he wants rock, rock blocks, rock bars, rough gems, plant cloth, and body parts.  He has only collected the rough gems despite there being a wide variety of the rest to get other than the impossible rock bars, and it he must be pretty far along in the insane counter track by now.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:04:05 pm by buzz killington »

czolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 08:31:34 pm »

If you listed the items in the same order as they're screamed, then "plant cloth" is what you're missing next.  Dwarves still grab items in-order (and you mention he only has rough gems so far).
Sic sum in ignis; sic sum quiritatio

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 09:56:41 pm »

If you listed the items in the same order as they're screamed, then "plant cloth" is what you're missing next.  Dwarves still grab items in-order (and you mention he only has rough gems so far).

The list was not in order.  He already went insane, but I'm pretty sure rock bars is what he was stuck on.

Ubern00b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 10:28:16 pm »

Yeah I lost a miner to "Rock Bars"
Quote from: Canuhearme(Facepunch Studios)
Isn't Dwarf Fortress just a game of delayed free-fall into a hideously painful and frighteningly horrific death?

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 12:22:51 am »

"Rock bars" just means "metal bars."  My fortress is swimming in silver thanks to hitting numerous silver-producing veins (and nothing else, sigh), and I have endless silver-studded artifacts resulting from demands for "rock bars."

If you had metal bars available and the dwarves didn't take them, they might have a preference for a specific kind of metal (for example, if a dwarf's personality window says they like native aluminum, they might refuse to use anything but native aluminum)... and I'm not sure if it will always say if the dwarf only wants one specific kind.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.