Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buggage?  (Read 999 times)

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Buggage?
« on: May 18, 2010, 01:27:14 pm »

This may come as a shock to some, but I think adventurer mode is bugged. First off, for my first quest, I was sent to slay a minotaur. I fast traveled to its relative locale and found myself out in the open with nothing but a river nearby. Suddenly, the dialogue of said minotaur popped on my screen, introducing himself and advising me to begin preparing for the hereafter. Great. Problem is... no minotaur. Anywhere. Further, when I fast travel back there, it lists a cave as an option, but there's no cave, either. I've scoured the area and there's nothing -- neither cave nor creature.

Oh well, probably a fluke. For my second quest I got referred to a bronze colossus. With trepidation, I traveled to its lair and found a cave! Things were looking up. Until it turns out there's nothing in there, except for a passage down to an expanse of caverns which abruptly ends because they're flooded with water. For my third quest, I needed to go slay a dragon. Again, I found the cave, completely vacant but for another opening to a cave system which I'm confident I'd get hopelessly lost in but nevertheless searched quite thoroughly, with no dragon in sight (I assume it has to be where the compass indicates; once I wander too far, it tells me to head back east, west, what have you).

So where are these creatures? Not in their caves anymore so much as those subterranean worlds where they presumably wander for miles off from where they're supposed to be? How would I find them, then?

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Buggage?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 05:57:21 pm »

Seems normal to me.

As I understand it, the second time you visit a site it will give you an option to appear "near" the creature in question. Sometimes it gives you multiple creatures in which case you have to guess which is the target.

Sometimes you have to wander around a little - I'll do a spiral search pattern outward looking for a monster.

Usually you first want to find the cave the monster inhabits. For this you can use the spiral search pattern & pay attention to the "direction" reported on the minimap to your target. What the cave looks like is unmistakable once you have seen it the first time - look for a small raised hill with a triangle symbol in the middle. 

Finally, you have to remember that your target may not be at home at the time you arrive, so your first, or even subsequent, search of the cave may be fruitless.

Sometimes they may be out & about doing monsterly things in the area around the cave.

Sometimes, I believe but may be wrong on this, they will be somewhere else on in the world on a rampage. Everyone has to make a living somehow after all.

If nothing else this whole exercise gives me a greater appreciation for the work ethic of Mafia hit men, et. al. 

Good luck!
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.
This was supposed to be a cool upgrade. All I got was more hostile zombies.

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 06:01:44 pm »

For a real challenge - try taking a quest from a Demon.

Sure - you'll find your target eventually. It's probably just some hapless crocodile in the middle of nowhere. Easy kill? Sure!

Now try to find that lutzy S.O.A.B to claim your quest completion.

The first time you see that Demon is also the *last* time you will ever see him.

<Insert God of Toads name usage in vain here>  do I ever hate Adventure mode Demons.
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:45:23 pm »

Sometimes the caves are fouled up.

One guy managed to find a pile of treasure just sittin' on the ground, and a bunch of ettins. No cave.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 02:13:52 pm »

For a real challenge - try taking a quest from a Demon.

Sure - you'll find your target eventually. It's probably just some hapless crocodile in the middle of nowhere. Easy kill? Sure!

Now try to find that lutzy S.O.A.B to claim your quest completion.

The first time you see that Demon is also the *last* time you will ever see him.

<Insert God of Toads name usage in vain here>  do I ever hate Adventure mode Demons.

Really? Where do you find a demon to begin with?

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 05:20:22 pm »

Really? Where do you find a demon to begin with?

Look for a goblin Dark Fortress. You have to wander around inside their towers until you blunder into him, assuming there's one there to begin with. If you can find him he's sure to give you some ditzy quest target.

While this may sound insane the local residents basically ignore you - save that elves in my party always seemed to attract negative attention. This might have something to do with the relevant civs being at war as opposed to just a generic insta-hate thing. And once the elf party member was dealt with - the goblins continued to go about their two primary businesses of watching as I recruit all their slaves, & ignoring me.

Not that I ever cared. There's always more elves to recruit.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:23:05 pm by FourierSeries »

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 05:45:59 pm »

In the newer versions, quests given by demon law-makers that have taken over human civs have actually be very similar to those of any other quest givers.

The zoom to creature thing is pretty hit or miss for me. One time I decided to go visit a wandering unit and zoomed to creature, and nothing. Another time I did it and it plopped me in front of a demon who had presumably freshly escaped from the underworld.