Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Lovelycells, the eternal prison of heaven. (Partial Community fort)  (Read 5249 times)

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lovelycells, the eternal prison of heaven. (Partial Community fort)
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2010, 11:06:37 pm »

Journal of Obok Onulolon, 15th Felsite, 1052:

Spring has been picking up since the new Residents arrived.  We also go some new assistants to help in taking care of them, which is good, because there has been plenty of work to be done.  With the arrival of the brewer and carpenters, we have had to provide a steady flow of plants, wood, and seeds to the brewer, carpenter, and planters, respectively.  In turn, there has been an equally steady flow of brew and seeds, barrels, and plants from them.  The fishery has also caught several turtles already.  Of course, all of that pales compared to today's events:

Nish and I got married!  After the turn of good fortune that came with the new Residents, we decided we should celebrate by finally getting married.  We had considered it previously, but winter seemed to bleak for such a special occasion.  And besides, what kind of wedding toast has water?  Instead, we waited till today, and toasted our happiness with freshly brewed sunshine!

And now, I have... ahem... marital duties to attend to.  Perhaps the overseer will consent to moving me bed into Nish's room.

Oh, Elves just arrived to trade.  That's worth mention, right?

<-------------------->

Out of character:
Of the starting 7, there are 3 romantic pairs, 2 of which are already married.

Speaking of romance:  Fourdots, prepare thy spores.  I was checking profiles, and you're married.  To a resident!  :o  Be proud that your wife is one of our most popular residents right now.  She's cranking out the barrels for our brewer.  So, I guess soon we'll find out if dwarves also reproduce via spores.
Another Outcast is married to one of my new military personnel.
I may have to consider modification of my policies to accommodate married immigrants.
Actually, not until the first outcast-death induced tantrum.  The Overseer wouldn't consider the dangers of telepathic knowledge of a spouse's death.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2010, 11:12:12 pm »

Bonus Entry:

Planter:  "I need Wild Strawberry seeds!!!  Bring them to me now!"
Caretaker 1:  "We don't have any, you old bat!  We haven't had any all winter, what makes you think we have any now?!?"
Caretaker 2:  "Hey, you ever notice he always seemed to know whenever someone at a strawberry down in the dining hall?  He'd always start bellowing for someone to bring him the seeds... I wonder how he knew?"
Overseer:  "The brewer has just made some alcohol.  Get it to the stockpile.  Also, there are some wild strawberry seeds left from the brewing.  Bring them up here so Resident 0C can begin planting the next batch."
Caretakers:  "Wait... how did he know??"

Explanation:  My farmer is clairvoyant, and knows the moment there are untasked seeds available, at which point he starts the job cancellation spam because he cant find a way out of his room OR his burrow, but has the memory of a goldfish, so he keeps trying.
I finally found the "fallow" option to tell him not to try to plant anything.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2010, 11:15:14 pm »

Oh lol!!!

He probably has [WALL_VISION]
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2010, 12:29:17 am »

(Ah, so that's what the maze will be for! And spores, floating in the wind ... I wonder how much of that's modeled.)

Clairvoyant farmers ... heh.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2010, 05:16:56 am »

(Feel free to have no one listen, of course. Being a ranting madmen has its appeal.)

Of course it does, it's been working great for the Overseer.  She has better leadership and persuasion skill though.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2010, 08:58:49 am »

Another mini-update:  The outcasts have their area started as well.  To deal with job cancel spam, I've moated you guys in, so I can preserve what's left of my sanity.  You have a still, 6 tiles of farm growing 4 whip vines, and a barrel of whip wine.  You have several more whip vines, and since they can't be eaten directly, you pretty much have booze for a while.  You've dug down to stone, where you've hit dolomite, lignite, and talc.  I'll set up a charcoal burner soon so you can burn the 1 piece of wood the Overseer gave you, and coke the lignite.  You should run into limonite sooner or later, so you can make some iron or steel.

Oh, and the Overseer robbed some elves.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2010, 11:16:38 am »

Hehehe, as long as them elves don't siege our little outcast fort.

Alright, good plan.
Can you make a maze that leads all the way down into the caverns? Once in the caverns, can you set up our main fort?
I vote for it.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2010, 11:20:48 am »

Hehehe, as long as them elves don't siege our little outcast fort.

Alright, good plan.
Can you make a maze that leads all the way down into the caverns? Once in the caverns, can you set up our main fort?
I vote for it.

I can try, but it will take a while.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2010, 11:24:59 am »

Dwarfs live around 200 years before dying of natural death.

They have time.

And I vote for steel instead of iron.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2010, 12:17:09 pm »

Dwarfs live around 200 years before dying of natural death.

They have time.

And I vote for steel instead of iron.

Oh I know, I'm just stating that if there's any more immediate things you want considered on the way down, let me know.  For example, no one has mentioned beds yet ;)

For steel, we'll see how much raw material you guys run into.  I may go ahead and follow some veins; it'll make the maze look even more haphazard.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2010, 12:24:38 pm »

Hehe, that's fine.

I vote after 1 steel pick, we make 1 steel axe.
Then a weapon for our military dwarf.
If no one protests, a steel sword.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2010, 12:29:56 pm »

Hehe, that's fine.

I vote after 1 steel pick, we make 1 steel axe.
Then a weapon for our military dwarf.
If no one protests, a steel sword.

Oh god... simultaneous, parallel military is going to be a nightmare.  I wonder if the Arsenal dwarf actually needs to be able to reach the military dwarves to get them to equip stuff...

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2010, 09:23:57 pm »

Overseer's Log:  Hematite 1, 1052:

After the spring immigrants arrived, we were fairly busy.  The alcohol situation has stabilized, and the carpenter's are producing more barrels so we can keep a healthy surplus of alcohol.  I'm keeping an eye on food supplies:  We have enough for a while, but I must be careful to balance how much alcohol we brew, since currently our only food source is also plants.  We have a butcher, but not much in the way of livestock breeding.  I am thinking of making a walled in area for animals to roam and breed in, but I really need separate stocks of animals:  One for milking and the other for butchering.  For now, I will set up the milker and have him keep busy so that when we do get someone who can make cheese, we have stock on hand.

In late spring, the elves showed up to trade.  We have little in the way of valuable goods production.  I offered the few items we had in exchange for a goodly amount of useful supplies, but the elves felt the deal was inadequate.  I was feeling generous, so I took off most of the items I originally asked for, and made a "fair" trade with the elves.  Mostly to get rid of the garbage left by the kobolds.  I then seized everything else I originally asked for.  The elves were less than pleased, but next year they will get a fair trade, as long as they don't pull any of their stuck-up garbage.

In other news, the Caretakers have not reported any sign of the immigrants I turned away.  It has only been perhaps 2 months, so I doubt they are dead already.  They must have dug in.  I shall have the caretakers inspect all hallways regularly to ensure they do not try to breach the Facility.  I have no qualms with them, but they must not endanger the facility.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]