Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Universal liquid flow.  (Read 2856 times)

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: Universal liquid flow.
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 05:55:25 pm »

Change water into booze in the raws.
You will never curse an aquifer again.

Oh, to hell with the adamantine!
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 10:35:47 pm »

Take some limestone, melt it in magma, make a fountain out of it.  Voila! The White Rock Beverages soda fountain!

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 10:46:55 pm »

Molten Mercury Oceans in every tomb

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2010, 11:25:25 pm »

Once magma has flow like water does, it may be possible to build magma waterwheels using nether-cap wood... from what I hear, the material has fixed_temp, and may be magma-safe, even though it is wood.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2010, 12:05:23 am »

Also, molten pitchblende generators. The closest DF will ever get to a nuclear reactor.
For now.

*ponders*

Oh god.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2010, 12:17:57 am »

This has been suggested for almost as long as firearms, if not indeed longer.
Luckily, Toady One does intend to add arbitrary fluids, but they have a number of challenges. I wonder if he could make it be entirely contaminant-based so that new fluids can be added without restructuring the whole CA system.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2010, 01:53:13 am »

I would think it possible simply to treat each cell as having 7 of any given fluid of significant quantity. Any less than, say, 20 (arbitrary) units of uristian volume would be a contaminant; at 20, that contaminant becomes 1/7th of a greater uristian volume unit of liquid.

Liquids could have simple properties for solubility (completely soluble in x, completely insoluble in y, all unmarked would separate by density.)

It would involve a slight decrease in performance (each cell containing fluid also being associated with as many as 7 subentities), but it isn't too terribly difficult to imagine, and it would allow for such fun (perhaps Fun) models as convection currents and (semi-)realistic pressure.
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2010, 02:00:07 am »

Hm...

The main entities would be the individual sevenths of fluid. The checks on each subcell would be dissolution/separation (is contacting soluble substance? has been an emulsion for [arbitrary] amount of time?), separation (if denser/lighter than z-1/7 or z+1/7, switch with z-1/7 or z+1/7), and flow, which could be modeled on a cell-by-cell basis as it is now, perhaps with a randomization of vertical order for subcells flowing sideways. If we're getting fancy, convection of temperature (perhaps using a simplified thermodynamic model) could be considered.

Toady knows his code better than any of us, though. It'd be his call whether this is all feasible or not.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:03:31 am by Tenth Speed Writer »
Pages: 1 2 [3]