Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New type of constucted wall: Fancy wall.  (Read 804 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New type of constucted wall: Fancy wall.
« on: May 16, 2010, 12:23:40 pm »

The fact that you can't engrave constructed walls is kinda annoying, so I figure we could have a new wall type, the fancy wall, it would be just like a normal wall but while the dwarf is putting it up he engraves it (Or an engraver comes over and does it)
I've played a guitar with my penis.

numeral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New type of constucted wall: Fancy wall.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 01:13:11 pm »

This isn't any different than the hundred other threads requesting engraved constructions, it's even on the voting page

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:45:20 am »

Toady said that there were no reasons against engraving walls in an earlier DF Talk.  It'll probably go in when he works more with constructions in general (like making ice walls no longer able to hold back lava.)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 11:15:47 am »

The issue is not engraving a constructed wall but with what happens to the engraving if the wall is deconstrcuted?

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 12:01:50 pm »

The issue is not engraving a constructed wall but with what happens to the engraving if the wall is deconstrcuted?
IMHO, the engraving should stay on the unit of Blocks that made up the wall.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 12:47:49 pm »

Actually this brings up another question: can only stone constructions get these fancy engravings? Personally I'd say give this 'fancy wall' task to Architects not Engravers - they build a decorated wall from scratch (out of blocks - any blocks but not rough stone) and if you deconstruct it, that counts as art defacement like when natural engravings get mined out or paved over.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 07:51:40 pm »

why not make it dependant on the block... thus a block engraved with King urist the seventh being slain by a fluffy wambler chucked through his left kneecap will always be a engraved wall of king urist's death by wambler.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 08:38:10 pm »

why not make it dependant on the block... thus a block engraved with King urist the seventh being slain by a fluffy wambler chucked through his left kneecap will always be a engraved wall of king urist's death by wambler.

What if that block is turned into a bridge?  Then a Workshop?  Then a floor?  Then a screwpump?  Then a wall again?

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 08:44:19 pm »

I am sure the same thing can happen to that block that happened in egypt and greece.  People came along and used the stones for something else, regardless of the engraving.  If it was really a good engraving, they saved it.  If it was Urist surrounded by cockroaches, it ended up being face down as a floor tile.
igless