Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fastest repeater design?  (Read 1219 times)

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fastest repeater design?
« on: May 18, 2010, 02:15:21 pm »

After doing a search, I found a lot of claims that there's a lot of repeater designs on the Wiki, but I only found one. (http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1370-pump-basedautorepeater)

Sadly, it's a lot slower than what I'm looking for.  My original idea only involved two pumps, but I'm a little worried it might not work. 
Side view:
Code: [Select]
======
= >> =
=.<< =
====.=
======
> is pump direction and . are pressure plates.

Can anyone describe in detail a more efficient repeater design, or tell me if mine will work?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fastest repeater design?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 02:59:33 pm »

I use dwarves.

I get about 6 dwarves. Assign them to a burrow that has access to a well and a small farm plot. The lever is in there as well. I then wall off the room so it becomes a self contained vault, impervious to outside attack and fully self sufficient.

There is always a dwarf available to pull the lever. At most you may have no levers being pulled for a second or two, but it takes only an instant for another dwarf to take over pulling the lever.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fastest repeater design?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 05:41:14 pm »

Why not use staggered repeaters? 

The problem with your design is that pressure plates take time to reset (100 steps IIRC).  So it has a repeat step of ~100. 

The problem goes away if you have a stairway of pumps with pressure plates in front of them set to engage the pump in front.  The last pressure plate (dis)engages the first pump at the bottom.  The input and output squares are continually fed/drained by always-on pumps. 

If you have >100 pumps in a row, you have a 1-2 step repeater.