Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making megabeasts (and other monsters) more dangerous  (Read 511 times)

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making megabeasts (and other monsters) more dangerous
« on: May 17, 2010, 05:46:29 pm »

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, I've done a bit of a search and not found anything obvious.

Well, I haven't played for a long time, but with 31.04 just being released, I started it up, generated a world and had a look at legends and arena mode.

The most noticeable thing is that while megabeasts now do very well in worldgen, they are almost completely useless in arena mode, as the new materials system means that even very large monsters that attack with natural weaponry like teeth or claws are unable to even scratch a human-sized opponent wearing bronze or iron armour. I assume this would also translate to fortress and adventure mode.

I haven't done any modding since 40d, and with the new raws being so much more complex I'm not quite sure I'm looking in the right places... but I wonder if it would be possible to make dragons' (and other monsters') teeth have the same properties as adamantine or something to make them more dangerous.

I realise this wouldn't be possible with HFS-type monsters as they don't have raws that can be modded, but it could give megabeasts, and other things that are meant to be dangerous, like GCS, a chance against adventurers/dwarves.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
Re: Making megabeasts (and other monsters) more dangerous
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:54:33 am »

Go fight a Colossus for fun times.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 01:28:22 am »

Dude, just fix the natural weapons. Seriously. The raw values right now say that teeth are only about as hard as SKIN. Tell me that's not a problem.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 10:38:15 am »

And bear in mind that Arena Mode spawns tiny dragons, (I'm not sure what size offhand, but I think it's around the size of a cow). They're adult from creation, but take 1000 years to grow into the 25 tonners, and Arena Mode apparantly just spawns a minimum-sized adult.

Hydras (hydrae?) seem to be placed fullsize, and Bronze Collossuses are, since they don't change size.