Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: If Dwarf Fortress was a AAA release...  (Read 17964 times)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If Dwarf Fortress was a AAA release...
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2010, 04:28:08 pm »

(metalsmith, blacksmith).

Metalsmith is the skill, blacksmith is the profession.
You know what I mean.  There's three different metal skills right now, one for swords, one for armor, one for everything else, as if none of that has anything in common with each other.  And none of them can make mechanisms, the mechanic suddenly channels metalsmithing experience from some mystic source when he does so.  If anything they might be different levels of the skill.  I'd expect an armorsmith to know how to bend metal into a bin but wouldn't expect a metalcrafter to make armor or swords.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 04:31:45 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2010, 03:40:29 pm »

You know what I mean.  There's three different metal skills right now, one for swords, one for armor, one for everything else, as if none of that has anything in common with each other.  And none of them can make mechanisms, the mechanic suddenly channels metalsmithing experience from some mystic source when he does so.  If anything they might be different levels of the skill.  I'd expect an armorsmith to know how to bend metal into a bin but wouldn't expect a metalcrafter to make armor or swords.

Clearly we need a horribly complicated hillariously buggy very realistic system to describe the subtle interactions between these skills. While we're at it, we also need to add "noblesmithing", "redsmithing", "cupling", "grinding" , "honing", "osmond furnance opperating", "bloom furnance opperating", "fining furnance opperating", "hammering", "bellowing", "carburising", "coking", "pouring", "blast furnance opperating", "sand casting", "wax mould casting" and "plaster mould casting". Besides that, we need axesmiths, hammersmiths, toolsmiths, swordsmiths, chainsmiths, spearsmiths, binsmiths, bedsmiths, doorsmiths, platesmiths, mailsmiths, studing smiths, gratesmiths, anvilsmiths, trumpetsmiths, harpsmiths, giant corkscrewsmiths, miniature giant corkscrewsmiths, donkey cage smiths, lion cage smiths, bronze titan cage smiths, bronze titan smiths and monocle smiths (who need to be legendary noblesmith and legendary crystal glass maker before they can gain that title)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2010, 03:45:51 pm »

Clearly we need a horribly complicated hillariously buggy very realistic system to describe the subtle interactions between these skills. While we're at it, we also need to add "noblesmithing", "redsmithing", "cupling", "grinding" , "honing", "osmond furnance opperating", "bloom furnance opperating", "fining furnance opperating", "hammering", "bellowing", "carburising", "coking", "pouring", "blast furnance opperating", "sand casting", "wax mould casting" and "plaster mould casting". Besides that, we need axesmiths, hammersmiths, toolsmiths, swordsmiths, chainsmiths, spearsmiths, binsmiths, bedsmiths, doorsmiths, platesmiths, mailsmiths, studing smiths, gratesmiths, anvilsmiths, trumpetsmiths, harpsmiths, giant corkscrewsmiths, miniature giant corkscrewsmiths, donkey cage smiths, lion cage smiths, bronze titan cage smiths, bronze titan smiths and monocle smiths (who need to be legendary noblesmith and legendary crystal glass maker before they can gain that title)

And each one of those awesome titles is available via DLC.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2010, 03:15:38 am »

I prefer this cast:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Digging a hole to pierce the HFS!
Seriously looks like a Gurren Laggan poster.
Congrats for that.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2010, 04:44:44 pm »

No no no no no, this entire thread got it all wrong.

In the current video game climate, it is not profitable to create strategy games, especially ones of such depth and complexity!

Halfway through development, the publisher would cancel the project and assign a new dev team.

The game would take place in first person
Why must everything be in first-person!? FPS games suck.
Sorry if I'm digging this up from the past and if it's been mentioned, but I've been reading through the thread and this stuck out...

Everquest was probably my most memorable MMO because it was first person.  It most likely had the best dungeons because there was no "third person camera" limitation in level design.  They had a camera view that you could switch to that would still collide with the ceiling and walls so it made it all but useless in most dungeons, but I'll go out on a limb and bet that 90%+ play(ed) solely in first person.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2010, 04:53:39 pm »

No no no no no, this entire thread got it all wrong.

In the current video game climate, it is not profitable to create strategy games, especially ones of such depth and complexity!

Halfway through development, the publisher would cancel the project and assign a new dev team.

The game would take place in first person
Why must everything be in first-person!? FPS games suck.
Sorry if I'm digging this up from the past and if it's been mentioned, but I've been reading through the thread and this stuck out...

Everquest was probably my most memorable MMO because it was first person.  It most likely had the best dungeons because there was no "third person camera" limitation in level design.  They had a camera view that you could switch to that would still collide with the ceiling and walls so it made it all but useless in most dungeons, but I'll go out on a limb and bet that 90%+ play(ed) solely in first person.
That sounds pretty good; I'd meant the currently popular First Person Shooter games (CoD, Halo, MW2, etc.) that are in my opinion, boring and sound like the same game with different single player modes and weapons.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

roguester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2010, 10:06:09 pm »

Admirable concept, crappy execution?
Pretty much.

It was originally made by a 2-man team and was unique and pretty awesome. Then one of them quit (and went on to make Minecraft), the remaining dev had a rather narrow vision of the game and poor customer relations skills and it kinda went downhill from there.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]